Flouro Leaders on Tip-Ups

• Jake_A

So after experimenting last season, I was looking for te best way to get the maximum number of flags to pop up on a fishing trip. After using a braid leader, I figured out that many pike were not hitting because of the leaders I was using.

I switched to using flouro for leaders-40 lb vanish leader material. It is by far the best thing I have found to get pike to consistently hit my baits. Anyone else out there using flouro for leaders? I have not had a bite-through yet, in fact te line hasn’t even been frayed hardly at all

Just thought I would share this…

phishirman
    Madison, WI

I can’t remember the last time I didnt have my tip ups rigged for pike without using a fluoro leader in the 20-25lb range. Never had a problem with bite offs either.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Jake what kind of knots are you using? Some of the guys who fly fish for Pike and Muskies have gone 30# or 40# Fluoro leaders, and I was thinking of giving it a try.

Thanks!

Rootski

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I’m going to give this a try this weekend. I’ve been using the 8 lb power pro (1 lb diameter, hi-vis yellow) or 6 lb mono but I am going to see how the floro goes. I am going to use 6 lb floro because I rig my tip ups with very tiny treble hooks for crappie and perch. I can jig all day and catch numbers but the bigger fish usually come on these set ups for me. I’ll let you know the results.

The photo is a tip up crappie my wife got a few weeks ago. She was pretty excited!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I use 25lb flouro for this application. That stuff ties really nice uni to uni to tipup line. check your leader each fish for knicks. I make my leads 2 feet long and you can trim them a couple times prior to replacement. I haven’t had a beakoff yet. 40 is way more than you need.

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/ SJU

I use them and love them…no break offs as of yet… 20 or 25 lbs test is plenty..

roland

I have been using flouro 25lb fore ten years with a large splitshot twofeet at the swivel and no#1 hook

adamgdunn
    Iowa

20 pound vanish fluoro and a circle hook. Like a few beads or a small spinner for a little extra flash/attraction. Not cut offs yet and have landed a few around 10 lbs on that set up. Every once in a while re-tie because of frays in the line, but not too often.

Knutty

lhprop1
    Eagan

Are you guys tying directly to your hook or are you using a snap?

I usually just run 25 lb mono and snell it onto a single J hook. I’ve never had any problems with it before, but the last gator I got sliced through the snell with her gill plate. Luckily I was able to get her out of the hole, but it was a close call.

Is it too much to put snap swivel on the end of the leader? I’ve got some muskie leaders with 180lb flouro.

Chippman
    Chippewa County, Wi

Just watched a Joe Bucher show and he was using 40#flouro leaders open water!!!

hambone870
    Illinois Wisconsin Border

I use vanish flouro on all my tip-ups

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

Just watched a Joe Bucher show and he was using 40#flouro leaders open water!!!

For muskies? That seems a bit on the risky side. Most of my muskie leaders are 180# flouro.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.