auger mount on atv

• doonan
    Storm Lake, IA

Just bought a honda rancher and Im looking for some input on a good auger mount for the front of the atv. I have a strikemaster lazer if that makes any difference. Thank you for the help.

hodge91
    La Crosse WI

Stearns \ Mad Dog makes one that mounts to most racks, holds the handle in 2 spots and will accomodate up to a 10″ blade, I have it on my ATV but don’t have a pic, not sure how sturdy this will be so I have a strap also

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Yep.. MAD DOG here too Auger Rack

big G

X3

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

My Otter works great, just slide it in and go.

wilson1984

Quote:

My Otter works great, just slide it in and go.

I just got the otter tube. Do you do anything to keep it in? Do you take it out when your driving to a lake? My auger seems to stick out a bit, I was afraid it would bounce around so much in it, it would hurt it. What do you think?

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

On the rim of the Otter Auger Shield is a lip. I take 1 12″ bungy and strap it snug. I guess I’m just a wild man driving!

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Can you mount the otter tube on an ATV without the otter box or does it only work when you have the otter box?

wilson1984

You could make it work without the monster box, but you would have to make up a way to mount it. It is made to just slide onto the box. You sure could put it up front and strap it to your rack though. Good luck

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I know the ATV and sled shop in Sheldon (Glen’s) can order them, I’d go the mad dog way for now, if and when you get an Otter box on the back you may want to use the attachment system for other things like gas tanks or rod boxes.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I don’t have room on my racks for the mad dog as I have to mount flotation for the Madison lakes. You have to have flotation approved by the sheriff’s department to run ATVs on the lakes here. They take up all my rack space. Guess I’ll need to figure out a modification for an auger holder.

dpomann
    Sartell,MN

I just got an auger rack from cycle country they were at the ice show, it was pretty inexpensive, and I mounted in in about 10 minutes top! Works great so far, I really love it, they have a ton of ice fishing accessories for your atv. Check them out!

Tanner Wildes

Richard V.

Quote:

Can you mount the otter tube on an ATV without the otter box or does it only work when you have the otter box?

John, Otter makes the auger carrier with the mounting for the Monster box and without a mount for the Monster box. How dificult making a mount would depend on what you have available to mount to. Let me know if you want to see a picture of both I can post one.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Quote:

find the mad dog auger mount here
    http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?CategoryID=31017&product_id=COLEA700

I moved the velcro straps to the rack, very tough trying to get the straps buttoned up in a tight space with cold hands

thank you for the find seems like a good deal at $22 so I ordered one. Im not sure I understand on the velcro straps though? You moved them to the rack?

on the mad dog auger mount, the velcro securing the handle to the rack is a pain in the butt, there is a very small and thin slot to run the velco through. you can kind of see it in the first picture

how i get around that is to use a clevis (i think thats what they are called) that i zip tie to the original spot where the velcro should run. much wider gap, easier to get the velcro through with cold hands.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Quote:

John, Otter makes the auger carrier with the mounting for the Monster box and without a mount for the Monster box. How dificult making a mount would depend on what you have available to mount to. Let me know if you want to see a picture of both I can post one.

If you can throw up pictures, that would be great.

Richard V.

Quote:

If you can throw up pictures, that would be great.

The auger shield that mounts to the Monster Box is avaliabe in only 10″ diameter and the one without the mount comes in 8″ and 10″ diameter. The mount could come off pretty easily with a 3/16″ drill bit if a guy wanted to modify it with something like wood, metal or plastic. I guess a guy could make an auger carrier out of PVC but I doubt it would be near as rugged as Otters.

Since I was taking the pictures of the carrier I thought I might as well post a picture of the two rod boxes.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.