taking pics when ice fishing…

• ekruger01

Alot of you guys take pictures when out on the lake, whats the best way to set up to be able to do it. I have a scout and fish by myself 90% of the time and would like to start documenting some of my outings. what suggestions or methods would work in this situation?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

What do you want to take pictures of?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Inexpensive tripod, fill the screen as much as possible, use your flash, and multi-shots from the self timer. I do that a lot in my boat. Little tricky when you need to contend with waves…

I just bought a Gorillapod that is flexible and can wrap around things. Joby GP1-D1EN Gorillapod Flexible Tripod

Another thing that works somewhat ok, is to run a video and save screen captures on the camera later. My daughter does that a lot with her dance. The pic of me with the trout is from a video

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

Alot of you guys take pictures when out on the lake, whats the best way to set up to be able to do it. I have a scout and fish by myself 90% of the time and would like to start documenting some of my outings. what suggestions or methods would work in this situation?

Man, its relly tough when you’re by yourself. Many of my report pictures I’ve taken using a timer. I’ll be the first to say that it takes some practice to land the fish, take your gloves off, dig out the camera, switch to timer mode, aim, hope you’re in the picture, and then hope the lighting and focus works.

THose flexible tripods are nice to get it set up. From there its all trial and error.

NOw since I started shooting video instead, its much easier to take video and then I crop a still picture from the videos to post in my reports.

ekruger01

thanks guys i will pic up a tripod and see what i can do…. does the flash in a dark shack give you that really awkward look from the light lol…. i have rechargeable batteries that last a long long time would it be better to just set up the tripod and leave the camera on til i catch a fish?

EK

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Every day is different. Just need to experiment to find what works best for you. That is the best part of having digital cameras. Not like the old days of rolls and rolls of film to develop

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

I’m like you and i fish alone in my house 90% of the time. I am trying to make a little holder that attaches to one of the bars in the otter that will hold my small digital camera. I don’t like to take fish outside if i can help it so getting as far away from the subject (me) is important and with the holder on the back bar in the otter the distance is about the greatest.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

That’s awesome! thanks Randy! I may have to try one of those out. they look pretty slick. Descent price too. Has anyone had any experience with there?

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Great post as I fished alone today and tried to get some good pics. I took fish only pics I figured you guys would rather see the fish than me

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Wow the inflation prices has hit hard on these gorillapods. I see they have bigger ones too now for $$$$ more.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

I figured you guys would rather see the fish than me

Pat, I’m still trying to figure out how to photo shop that center area of your avatar

Grant, I just bought one. It was about $20.00 and looked like it was more functional than the typical fold out one. Plus I can hang it from my clam and video fish coming out of the hole

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.