Ice Auger Problems

• magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

I have an older eskimo ice auger that isn’t running right. It is a pain to get started then when I finally do get it started it kills as soon as I hit the throttle. If I feather the throttle I can keep it running and once I get it cutting it runs just fine until I finish drilling the hole. Then when i let off the throttle it kills again. Then the whole 10 minute process to get it running again starts over.

If any one has had similar problems and found a solution let me know. Thanks for the help guys.

get_hooked
    Dundee, Wi

i would check your gas/oil mix.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

How long has it been since the last tune up / how old is the auger? Have you pulled the plug yet? Is the electrode worn? Is the plug wet and oily? When did this first start to happen… did it slowly start to run poorly or was it one of those “all of a sudden” type deals?

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

The auger is about 15 years old. I had the carburator cleaned two or three years ago. I replaced the plug last year but I will check it again.

I have always had problems getting it started after sitting all summer (there is no primer bulb on this particular auger) but this is the first season i have had a problem with it killing when I hit the throttle.

The problem I am having now (killing when I hit the throttle) started this winter and has not gotten any worse or better since the begining of the season. Maybe it time for a new auger!

jmiller
    Blaine, MN

Yeah it sounds like it is time for a new Auger. I had my last Strikemaster for about 16 years before i bought a new one this last year. I bought the Strike lite and love it just need to by a 7 inch bit for it know and i will be good to go. Good Luck

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I wouldn’t be suprised if the carb needs done again. That is if you don’t run it dry every spring. Leaving fuel in the system while sitting for long periods is tough on the jets. Jason brings good points as well.

andyboecker
    Central MN

I agree with chuck I had the same issues with my old strikemaster until I did the carb. It ran like a top after that. If you dont do this already drain all the gas and start it and run it out of gas b4 you store it and that will prevent the carb from getting gummed up over the summer

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Thanks for the input guys!

ryno

Make sure your gas cap is breathing properly. It sounds like it may be starving for fuel.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Magnum,
    I have a really old Eskimo auger too (20+ years). I gimped along with mine for about 5 years. I took it to the Country Store in Cumberland 2 years ago. They are owned by Ardisam. They replaced my carberator. They told me replacing it would cost about $20.00 more than rebuilding it. I know it cost less than 100.00 to replace. I was on the fence on whether to fix it or buy a new auger. If I were drilling a hundred holes each time I went out, my old Eskimo wouldn’t still be kicking and I would probably have a new auger. Based on my usage, I replaced the carb. It runs like a champ again.

Let me know if your interested in having them look at it. I have a cabin in Cumberland and go there most weekends. I could drop it off and bring it back to you. Driving through Baldwin from Hudson wouldn’t add much to my drive.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Check all your fuel lines.Usually the first thing to go with today’s fuel.

DaveI

Quote:

I wouldn’t be suprised if the carb needs done again. That is if you don’t run it dry every spring. Leaving fuel in the system while sitting for long periods is tough on the jets. Jason brings good points as well.

The only year my 9 year old SM was stored with a dry fuel tank, the next winter the carb leaked since a gasket dried out. The leak stopped on its own in a day. Now, I leave fuel and Stabil the fuel over summer and start once a month or so.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

Auger is fixed! A small shop in town cleaned the carb for $20. Runs better than new! Thanks for the input guys!

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

Auger is fixed! A small shop in town cleaned the carb for $20. Runs better than new! Thanks for the input guys!

Good to hear! Leave it in a spot where you’ll see it, and run it everyso often. SeaFoam is your friend

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.