Eye Cleaner for Tiny Jigs?

• Al Case

OK, I’ve stabbed myself for the last time, without asking for a better way to do it. How do you clean the eyes on teeny jigs that you can’t reach with a regular eye cleaner?
    Thanks,
    Al

Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I just grab my clippers, go past the eye, pinch down and pull back. Works every time!

ajs
    Mellen,WI

Quote:

I just grab my clippers, go past the eye, pinch down and pull back. Works every time!

X2 i do exactly the same thing and it works great.

Ajs

Al Case

Good idea, Mike. Why didn’t I think of that? I’m a dental hygienist, lol Right now, I’m heading for my tackle box with a clippers, though, as I don’t have a pick handy.
    Al

Al Case

Just tried the clippers and it works slicker than snot on a rock.
    Thanks for the tips!
    Al

stevenoak

I have always just used another hook.But this year I have been using CJS jigs and have yet to find one with paint in the eye With clippers do you ever raise a burr on the eyelet?

herb
    6ft under

That’s odd because nearly all my Rat Finkee’s and Gill Pills have paint in the hook eyes. Not all, but nearly all.

sledgod
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

With clippers do you ever raise a burr on the eyelet?

I think about that too but I have been using clippers and haven’t lost a jig yet…

But i suppose there’s always a first time

stevenoak

Just checked,had two out of about 35 with paint in eyeYou got a bad batch or I got lucky.Got mine from small mom and pop shop locally.Maybe they ordered off season when they were not cranking the out so fast.

fishbizbob

Herb,

What size RF & GP’s you using? I’d say 99% of the lures that go out of here have cleared eyes.A few may slip through but certainly not as many as you’re saying, so I’d appreciate a little info so I can look into it. We pride ourselves on having clear eyes. Only problems we’ve had recently is on the GP 16’s keeping them open can be a challenge.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

I’ve had size 12 I believe gp with paint in the eye. Could not get them clean and ended up knocking the paint off.

herb
    6ft under

Bob, been waiting for an order of new stuff to come in and when it gets here I’ll give an actual count if you’d like. Most of what I already have has been cleaned so I don’t waste time on the ice.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Quote:

Herb,

What size RF & GP’s you using? I’d say 99% of the lures that go out of here have cleared eyes.A few may slip through but certainly not as many as you’re saying, so I’d appreciate a little info so I can look into it. We pride ourselves on having clear eyes. Only problems we’ve had recently is on the GP 16’s keeping them open can be a challenge.

I think it is safe to say that I go through more CJS tackle than most, and I can count on one hand how many jigs I have seen come through with paint in the eye.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Have to agree with Luke…
    I only have about 1 or 2 that had any …
    Even then it was not completely shut.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.