Wheel House and Ice Thickness

• 85lund
    Menomonie, WI

The wife and I have been throwing around getting an Ice Castle for next season. I am looking at the 8 x 16 models. I don’t see any weight specs on the Ice Castle site. I would be pulling it with an Explorer(v8).

For those of you that have similar wheel houses how much ice do you require before you will drive it out behind the truck? I am wondering if it is worth the investment if I can’t get it out safely without 2 feet of ice.

tanders
    Rush River, WI

I just built a 8×15 crank down shack very similar to the ice castle design 2×4 sidewall, tin roof, T1-11 siding so its fairly heavy and my jeep cherokee pulls it fine. Ive been drivin on 14 inches and havent gone through yet. I have to say that it beats the old quick fish big time. i love it very cozy. Hope this helps! Tanders

nick
    Lakeville, MN

My pucker factor wouldn’t let me drive on less than 14…

1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

I have a 16′ ice castle that I pull behind a 3/4 ton truck with a boss v plow. The castle weighs around 4500 lbs so I look for 18 to 20 inches of good ice before traveling around the lake. Some say I could go out on 14 to 16 inches but I have a lot of weight to consider and I am not willing to take any chances.
    Arnie

machine

I haul a really old pull behind camper used for ice fishing (4500#+) and use 18″ minimum as a rule of thumb. Had no problem up on lake of the woods three-four weeks ago. I haul with a Tahoe-no problems (yet).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.