Charging 12v 7ah batteries

• woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

I have a permenant shack and I recently got a used car radio from a junk yard and installed it so I can have some tunes. I went to Fleet farm and perchased 3 12v/7ah batteries that i will wire in parallel so I can use all 3 at once to power up the radio…and I will have a spare batt incase my Marcum batttery runs out of juice.

What you you guys think the best way will be to charge those 3 batteries after a day (12 hours) of use? My hope is that after a long day of running the radio I will be able to charge the batteries over night and have them fully charged in the morning.

Thanks for any help.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

You are probably going to be quite disappointed. Those three batteries will only be able to power that car stereo for around 3-5 hours. They are 7 amp(hr) batteries wired in parallel giving you 12 volts and 21 amp/hr of use. I did some digging and found that most general car stereo decks are using between 5 and 7 amps. So you’ll only get 3-5 hours of runtime.

So you probably spent $75 on those 3 batteries. It may be in your best interest to pick up a 12 volt group 27 battery (car battery) these batteries have around 100 amp(hrs) and will power a 7 amp stereo for about 13 hrs.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I would use any float charger that could do 2 amps, I have a couple automatic chargers that do 2 amps and they do a great job charging the batteries.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Your best bet is a car or deep cycle batt. Like Matt said size 27 would have been about the same price and lasted over twice as long. Maybe u can return??? Not sure on their batt policy.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Quote:

You are probably going to be quite disappointed. Those three batteries will only be able to power that car stereo for around 3-5 hours. They are 7 amp(hr) batteries wired in parallel giving you 12 volts and 21 amp/hr of use. I did some digging and found that most general car stereo decks are using between 5 and 7 amps. So you’ll only get 3-5 hours of runtime.

So you probably spent $75 on those 3 batteries. It may be in your best interest to pick up a 12 volt group 27 battery (car battery) these batteries have around 100 amp(hrs) and will power a 7 amp stereo for about 13 hrs.

Matt,

The batteries that I bought were on sale for $10 a piece, so i only put $30 into the purchase. As far as run time, i used my fully charged Vexilar battery last year and it ran the radio about 4 hours. The radio is only powering 1 speaker, I’m sure if i was using more speakers it would lower the run time on one battery. I was hoping that 3 batteries would run the radio atleast 10 hours?

I have tried little AA batt powered radios in the shack but i can only get one radio station and lots of static. With an antenna on the tin roof making a large ground plane, i can get tons of stations that come in crystal clear.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Quote:

I would use any float charger that could do 2 amps, I have a couple automatic chargers that do 2 amps and they do a great job charging the batteries.

Nick

This is what I was thinking too. I have a little .5ah charger that would take forever to charge those 3 batteries. I also have a regular car charger that I believe is 15ah and I think thats too much. I think that I will have to find a charger that will do about 2ah and I will be set. Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.