Minnow buckets and bait storage 101

• matt_grow
    Albertville MN

There was a day that I could be found on a 25 mile venture into Lake of the Woods with a minnow bucket strapped to the front of my ATV splashing me in the face at every bump and snow drift. From a relative view, I’m sure it looked much like a reinactment of Deadliest Catch. Those days are long gone as I beleive I’ve perfected my bait handling pratices, and also managed to stay much drier and hence more productive.

Many companies have tried for years in perfecting storage and transportation solutions for live minnows. Over the years I’ve found a simple solution that has served me well with minimal issues. Simple water jugs from Coleman have doubled as bait containers for me. These jugs can ride anywhere and be beaten fairly badly. Its no longer a question of how tough my container is, but rather how tough is that bait.

One of the hardest things for ice fishermen is figuring out how to keep it from freezing. These jugs are insulated so a 12 hour day on the ice is typically the maximum time spent on the water before freezing is in issue.The other freezing issue is the lid. Theres nothing worse that venturing to your fishing hole and while getting setup, having to fight your way through a frozen bait continer. Just by tapping the edge of these jugs the frozen seal is easily popped loose.

Another issue is the size of the container. I use two sizes of these jugs. The smaller container is used for small crappie minnows or trips where minnow heads are used. The larger container typically holds sucker minnows.

Aeration with these jugs is simple if you wish to do so. Simply open the pour spout and insert your tube through the opening.

With these two different sized jugs, my bait is readily available and its all at a minimal cost of space.

The other product that has saved me time and money is Strikemasters bait pucks. They’re simple, cheap, and durable. They are always found in the front thigh pocket of my bibs. Before a trip for panfish, I just visit the fridge for a reload and I’m on my way.

Having this simple system creates peace of mind in that its one less thing I need to worry about. If you can’t find or get to your bait, its certainly going to be difficult to do the same with your targeted fish.

wilson1984

Great tip! I just started use these this year and he sure helps

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Good tips Matt…

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Great idea. I’ve used the bigger water jugs (big blue ones)in Canada to haul bait long distances, but they aren’t insulated.

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Great idea Thanks

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Good call matt- I love the colemans and baitpucks as well, just make sure you don’t use the red one the next summer for ice water on the jobsite, made that mistake once or twice…

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Never drink the red ones,….thats the rule

chomps
    Sioux City IA

been doing just that for several years, had to write BAIT in big Sharpie letters on the side since the kid took one to band camp once.

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Quote:

been doing just that for several years, had to write BAIT in big Sharpie letters on the side since the kid took one to band camp once.

Theres a new “one time at band camp” for ya

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Its an old one in the fish house though

Quote:

“And this one time,….after bad whiskey, they bet me I wouldn’t take a swill out of the minnow bucket”

stevenoak

Tried the pucks but went back to my old “grub getter” by lindy.I like that I can open and close with one hand,and lid is hinged so I don’t drop it every other time.One clip holds it closed.The holes in the divider help find the last few grubs easy without dumping bedding

arklite881south

I’m all over the PUCKS!! Thats a must in Manland. No flimsy stuff that gets cracked or broken leaving you with a pocket of euros. I like to utilize small coolers for minnows as I’ve had some difficulty with screw lids locking up after transportation. But of course not everyone is fishing in the Arctic Circle!!

Great tips Matt!!

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Every winter this question comes up and I’ll give the same answer I always do. Here is a simple minnow bucket system my cousin taught me that I have used for years. The lid locks tight for no water spills and the price is right. Go to your local bakery or grocery store and get an empty icing/filling bucket. They are a couple gallons with a snap on lid. They end up in the garbage. Then buy a cheap styrofoam minnow bucket. The kind that break if you look at them too hard. The styro bucket fits perfect inside the plastic one. Silicone it in place and you are set. Painting the plastic bucket black helps with freezing on real cold days by soaking up sunshine. I’ve had the same one for 10 years now and it has bounced around in sleds and trailers with never an issue. The cat is gone but I still have the bucket.

get_hooked
    Dundee, Wi

i guess thats where frabill got there idea from. i dont silicone mine in tho.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Heres my problem with the above 2 set ups. Sometimes when I get home, its really late, the miss’ is going to chew my So water freezes in that foam. Next time I need to go fishing I have a frozen foam bucket. When ice forms in the foam buckets, the water expands and the foam is surely junked every time. (did it for years and started to wonder if the ETA was going to track me down for the 12 styrofoam buckets I had to throw away )

fairbanks

just made one out of a coleman swell tip man thanks. i went one step further though and got a bubbler. i used a neopreme coozie for ins on the bubbler it fit perfect. than i taped it to the side with some duct tape. and here is where i went wrong. than i cut the spout off and siliconed it in the open position and iserted the hose and siliconed itin place for a water tight seal. so now every time i take the lid off i twist the hose up. my answer for this though is to drill a 3/i6 hole just below where the lid screws on and than silicone the hose in and not worry about the spout. used it for the fist time sun and it worked great. it did however form some ice in it but was way better than a unisulated bucket and it was only 5.00 bubbler was ten great tip though thanks

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Welcome to the posting side of IDO!!!

Love to see some pics of this new unit!

Al Case

I use those exact jugs, Matt. They work great. Thanks for the tip on putting the aerator through the pour spout.
    Al

Al Case

By the way, Matt….how do they work in the summer?
    Al

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

By the way, Matt….how do they work in the summer?
    Al

I don’t know if thats a shot at me because I’m lucky if I get 5 summer trips in.

But I’d hazard a guess they work pretty well keeping the bait cool. Remember,as of now, I’m strictly ice here on IDO. Once the ice melts, I secretly slink off into to never never land

seeds
    Bluff Country

Good Stuff Guys!

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

The water jugs work great for leeches also in warmer weather. A tip I got from a Dan Gapen seminar 25 years ago. I use purple, and mark it well

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

get_hooked
    Dundee, Wi

Matt,

how many minnows are you getting in these size jugs? is the bigger one like a size 1 1/2 gallon? the smaller one has got to be less than a gallon. how many fatheads can you keep in that smaller one without loosing oxygen out on the ice? i realize if you are just using them for there heads it dont matter, but then you dont really need a bucket at all. how many large shiners fit in the bigger one without depletion of oxygen? i love the idea, i am real close to trying it, cuz your right, nothin out there really does the job of containing the water and sometimes the minnows when traveling on a shack/sled on the snowmobile trails. do you replenish fresh water from your ice holes to compensate for low oxygen?, or is it just not a problem for a day outing?

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

The big bucket holds around a gallon. Typically when I get the bagged bait from the bait shop, I can dump almost all the bait and water in. I mostly use suckers in the big one, and have to replenish the water once or twice for them. The smaller one will happily hold 2 scoops of fat heads and needs to be circulated twice a day. But the beauty of the small one is you can stick it right down the hole to do it.

I didn’t know you can buy live shiners I thought when they hit the bucket the automatically died

I end with dead bait through out the day, but who doesn’t

get_hooked
    Dundee, Wi

well i’m gonna try it. i wonder if i can find an even bigger one, maybe shorter and a lil fatter, that holds a little more water. i could just keep all my shiners and fatheads together like i do anyways. a 2 gallon seems to be the size i might want to look for. thats the size of my present minnow bucket anyways. but water tight…thats what i’m looking for. thanks for the tip.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

When you get really good at it, you can shake a fat head out the spout on demand

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

When you get really good at it, you can shake a fat head out the spout on demand

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.