Got a used auger NEED HELP

• jjonsgaard
    Winona, MN

Just picked up a used strikemaster magnum 3 for $50. It was supposedly ran 2 times and has sat for the past 4-5 years. There was no gas in it, and i threw some in. It will not start which i half expected, but i was wondering what are some basics i should try to get it going without taking it to a small engines guy. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

scottd
    wisconsin

Can you see gas in the fuel line going from the tank to the carburator?
    If not- check the screen in the tank for debri.
    I would replace the line from tank to engine it may have an air leak.
    Also replace spark plug.

Check also the primer bulb for cracks.

Check these things first and let us know.

Scott

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Pull the plug out and see what it looks like.Dump a little gas down the hole and put plug back in and give er a pull and see if it fires.Chances are you arent getting gas to the plug if it sat that long.

jjonsgaard
    Winona, MN

Did not see a primer bulb anywhere… If there is one where would it be?

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

It doesnt have one

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

You might think about spraying a bit of Gum Out carb cleaner inside and out and around the carb and other moving parts just to clean em up. I’m not real familiar with those carbs, but if there’s a bowl to remove or a quick way to get into the carb, that would definitely be a plus to clean that all up real quick. Hopefully that’s all it’ll take.

scottd
    wisconsin

My Mag-3 has a bulb(clear) up by the carb.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Before you pour gas into the spark plug hole connect the spark plug to the plg wire and rest the plug on the head of the auger and give it a couple of gentle pulls on the starter cord to make sure that there is spark between the plug gap. Then splash a little gas in the cylinder and give her a couple pulls. It may take a couple of splashes of gas to get it to pull the gas from the gas tank.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Id put $ on A Gummed up carb. I used to teach a small engines class and every year i would get free lawn mowers and $50 ice augers. 99% of them just needed the carb cleaned.
    FYI- you can not properly clean a carb but spraying the inside. It MUST be disassembled. And NO seafoam will not help you.
    1. check for spark with plug removed
    2. if not spark u can always try your finger in the plug boot, just pull slow and progressivley harder till you get BIT…
    3. if plug sparks bump a tablespoon of fuel in cyl. and try to run that.
    4. If that fires for a bit then dies it generally proves the carb needs cleaned.
    5. You can always sell it to me
    –luck, Mark

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I personally would go through all the numbers.

1. Pull the tank off and clean, replace the fuel pick up line and the screen rinse it out
    2. Replace the fuel line and the primer bulb
    3. Pull the carburetor, disassemble it remembering or writing down the position of all screws (maybe take a few pictures to help remember)
    4. I use a set of tip cleaners for my cutting torch to make sure all orifices and jets are clean and have no dirt. Pay close attention to all rubber seals and gaskets to make sure they are in good condition. Replace all bad and broken ones.
    5. Put the carburetor back together and reassemble everything.
    6. Fill it with clean fuel
    7. I almost forgot a new spark plug

I don’t use carburetor cleaner as a rule because it will eat rubber and plastic when cleaning. A little bit if gasoline and a air compressor with the tip cleaner and maybe a pocket knife should be everything you need to clean it. Remember it will not do any good if you clean the carburetor without cleaning the gas tank if the tank is dirty.

When you clean the tank make sure there is not any water or dirt in it, using a flash light to look inside when you rinse it will allow you to see everything floating in the gas.

perchhead

Dump a small splash of gas right into the carb mine is a 1984. I replace the fuel filter and line annually.

SashnJules

I vote for “old gas, and gummed up carb”. I have an old Magnum III 49cc auger.It sat in the garage for 7 years. The colour even went out of the mixed gas, it had sat so long. There was varnish in the fuel line, and the bottom of the tank was covered with a syrup lookin tar. I removed the carb, dismantled it, and cleaned it with Brake Clean. I removed the fuel filter, and fuel line, cleaned the tank of tar, and installed new fuel line and filter. Added some fresh gas, mixed to 25:1, and it started after a few pulls. I set up the carb idle, and it starts great every time. Just thought I’d let you all know…The posts on this site helped me get it working. Thanks!

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

i have had 3 strikemasters since 1985 and none of them had a primer bulb.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.