Mr Heater help

• matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I’m looking for a Mr. Heater Jr. I’ve relied on this one pictured for years. It is very important to me, because its saved my hands on frigid days. Its been my little secret weapon. Its small enough to stuff in my rod bag with a one pounder. The perfect hole hoppin heater.

I’m sad to say that this one now leaks in the off position. Found that out when I needed most. I had to build half an Igloo in a 30 mph wind when I was smacking the walleyes. THAT, was a cold day

sledgod
    Sparta, WI

Wow, nice man made wind break you have there, you must have really been slayin em. Sorry I can’t help you find a Junior though…

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I almost lost a foot that day, I remember I pulled my boot and sock off and it didn’t phase me. I actually got a bit worried Atleast it didn’t end up like this.

shaley
    Milford IA

Matt I threw away the part you need when I modified my cooker. I think if you replace the valve it may solve your problem. First thing I did with my cooker was get rid of the 3 position valve and replace it with one with infanate settings, been working good for 20+ years now. Wish they still made those little ones be great for early ice.

Just a guess thats where the leak is.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I guess I took it for granted that the don’t make these anymore. I dip it in snow frequently to cool it fast, and thats caused it to rust quickly. I suppose a new valve will get me a few more miles though

fishinfool
    mn

I may have one , can you send a new pic of it that isnt so dark so i can see it better.

FISHINFOOL

shaley
    Milford IA

I think the valves on the JR are the same used on the heaters and cooker heaters. Haven’t had the need for one but have replaced screens and thermocouples in the past.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

An authorized service center, might just get you up and running again

REED’S SALES & SERVICE
    1260 PAYNE AVE.
    ST.PAUL, MN 55101
    Phone: 651-774-9515
    Fax: 651-774-1532

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Not sure why they don’t make these anymore, very winter I see lots of guys looking for them.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

I may have one , can you send a new pic of it that isnt so dark so i can see it better.

FISHINFOOL

The rim is 5 inches across and it says Mr. heater Jr. on the inside of the brim

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

I have seen the ones that screw directly onto the propane tank and locally we have the ones with the wire stands. Here is a website address for Dakota Angler in Sioux
    Falls, SD. Talk to Todd Heitkamp, owner. The are $50.99. Good Luck. PM me with any questions. Todd Geerdes

http://www.dakotaangler.com/Category/145-mr-heater.aspx

Richard V.

Quote:

I almost lost a foot that day, I remember I pulled my boot and sock off and it didn’t phase me. I actually got a bit worried Atleast it didn’t end up like this.

I remember reading that report last year and thinking that you must be a really adventurous individual. And a little nuts too.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

TG, that’s the full size cooker. Which is nice, but takes up more room etc…

Richard V.

I did a quick search on ebay and found a better picture. This one has an adapter to hook up to a 20# bottle. Looks to me like you should be able to use just about any valve.

I also found a little buddy that I am interested in.

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

Some of the toughest days fishing, are the hardest days fishing sorry to hear about the unfortunate event, but way to stick it out and catch some eyes!!!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Matt I threw away the part you need when I modified my cooker. I think if you replace the valve it may solve your problem. First thing I did with my cooker was get rid of the 3 position valve and replace it with one with infanate settings, been working good for 20+ years now. Wish they still made those little ones be great for early ice.

I was thinking this would work for mine better than the 3 step valve also…
    What type of valve did you use??
    Where could I get me one?

BTW…I just got one of these….. Small heaters

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Shark, that heater you found is the right size, but I knopw theres no way I could keep the thermocouple in one piece. thats the beauty of the old Juniors.

If theres any one that knows how to hot wire a heater so the thermocouple isn’t needed, let me know via PM

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Twister, thats the one!!

Don’t even try outbidding me
    That heater is gold in my eyes

shaley
    Milford IA

Quote:

Quote:

I was thinking this would work for mine better than the 3 step valve also…
    What type of valve did you use??
    Where could I get me one?

BTW…I just got one of these….. Small heaters

I took apart one of Dads turbo torches and used the parts to modify my cooker.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

I took apart one of Dads turbo torches and used the parts to modify my cooker.

Thats it! Those valves have the have the same flow rate and no thermocouple control. Don’t try this home, I do not recommend modifying any heater such that its safety devices are tampered with. There I’m safe

shaley
    Milford IA

Something like this

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Sort of, but you can bypass the thermocouple with the right valve

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Thanks shaley

shaley
    Milford IA

Not sure my themocouple even works anymore, I get gas when I crack the valve without pushing the button, may have something to do with 22 years of abuse both on the ice and out west in Elk camp

Richard V.

Quote:

Not sure my themocouple even works anymore, I get gas when I crack the valve without pushing the button, may have something to do with 22 years of abuse both on the ice and out west in Elk camp

If your thermal coupler did not work you would not get any gas. Sounds like your pilot valve is messed up and stuck open.

Look at what I picked up this afternoon. It is 3800 BTUs and a little bigger than what the picture leads you to think. Only one problem it uses 1 lb bottles but a bottle lasts 5 1/2 hours.

huskerdu

Does anyone service the MR.Heater? I had it hooked to a 20LB w/o a filter and now will not start. Thanks

Richard V.

Huskerdu
    Here is the link you need, just plug in your zip code and the area you want the site to search and they will give you the authorized service centers. Good luck

snowfish

I know this is an old post, but found it searching on google for a mr. heater jr. myself. Used to have one years ago, and thought it was great. I now have the heater cooker and would like to find out more on a adjustment replacement for the low,med.,high valve. It would be great to be able to adjust lower than the 8000 btu’s on low, it cooks me out of shanty……Also as far as bypassing theremal couple. Mine don’t work anymore. It will push in and light, but when I let go it will shut off. I took some elec. tape and its always pushed in. Just turn the know and light quickly

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.