24″ or 28″ ice rod for panfish

• midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

I am looking at a new ultra light panfish rod. I have 2 St. Croix Premier rods a 28″ medium light and a 32″ medium, I like them both but looking at an ultra light version for panfish. Wondering what people perfer a 24″ or 28″ and what you feel are the advantages of that length. Just looking for some input.

liljac
    Lakeville, MN

If your looking for a super light rod I would go with the St. Croix Legend Ice Rod UL. It’s perfect for panfish!!

I prefer the shorter rod when targeting panfish because it keeps me closer to the hole and its easier to move hole to hole to find the fish.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

If the actions are identical, I would recommend the 24″ rod. You will like the shorter rod if you ever do any sight fishing.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Do you do most of your fishing inside a shack, portable or permanent?

If that’s the case, I’d highly recommend either the Thorne Bros. Power Noodle. If outside, you could go with the Quiverstick and be very happy.

The 24″ Power Noodle has a more pronounced “break” in the rod’s action, but has a more sensitive tip. I liken it to an XXFast light action rod, with a tip that is ultra-light. Here’s a pic that gives you an idea on the action.

If you want to utilize some slightly heavier panfish jigs, I’d recommend the Quiverstick. The tip won’t be quite as soft, but the entire rod will have a bit more feel than the power-noodle and its fiberglass tip. Either way, you can’t go wrong.

I’ve used the power-noodle now for a few years during really tough bites, and you’ll catch fish your buddies couldn’t even detect the bite from.

Joel

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

If you fish in a shack you will be much happier with the 24″er .

mstanley
    Shorewood,MN

Geez Joel when did you change your name to Johnson??
    The Jason Mitchell meatstick is also a nice rod in the noodle/Quiverstick genre. I myself prefer the St Croix Legend – the spring bobber is ultra sensitive and I have landed 6lb trout with a ML. Plenty of backbone.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Mark:

You know darn-well I’m not pretty enough to post anything with my mug on it! Matt’s pic was on the power-noodle portion of the Thorne Bros. website, so I put it up there to show the action of the rod!

Joel

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Midnight, I would say if you do any fishing out of a shack go with the 24″ rod, I had built 2 StCroix ul 28″ rods last year and it was hard to fish in my portable, so i just built 2 -24″ rods for this year

travp
    Blaine , Mn

I went with a 26″ powernoodle so I can use it in my trap, but its also alittle longer for outside use.

shaley
    Milford IA

I got a huge shack so I prefer a 26-28″ rod. I do sight fish 90% of the time but drill a 3rd hole to look down so I can watch both baits.

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Yup…24″ in the shack is ideal. Am hitting the roof on hook sets with that length as it is and cannot imagine what a 28″ would do. Probably would work a hole in the roof eventually but then I only get 1 or 2 bites a day so it might take awhile.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Quote:

Yup…24″ in the shack is ideal. Am hitting the roof on hook sets with that length as it is and cannot imagine what a 28″ would do. Probably would work a hole in the roof eventually but then I only get 1 or 2 bites a day so it might take awhile.

Instead of using your arms to set the hook, use your wrists. You won’t be hitting the roof anymore.

Nathan Rein

I have a 27 inch medium light tickle stick and i’m trying to figure out what to use it for?

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

Go with the 28″, it’s nice to have that whole rod load when you’re fighting a fish. keeps em pinned. Also a lot more fun than a shorter rod in my opinion!

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

the noodle/Quiverstick genre. I myself prefer the St Croix Legend – the spring bobber is ultra sensitive and I have landed 6lb trout with a ML. Plenty of backbone.

59 inch sturgeon with my 24inch legend.
    Plenty of back bone.

Branden Doyle

I did 2 quiver sticks added the tripwire to them to make them the sniffer.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.