My two biggest bass this season….

• lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

…came through the ice.

In the house bass was January 11, 2009 in the open bass was January 18, 2009. I don’t think we measured either one.

Insist on Salmo! Caught on a Salmo Chubby Darter, one of the ones they used to sell for 4 bucks, before the price inflation. I had a 12″ to 18″ piece of my 65lb. power pro for a leader to battle the slimers and I was spooled up with 6lb. fluro. I used a barrel swivel to connect my main line to my power pro leader. I used power pro instead of steel to maintain the action of the Chubby Darter on the fall. St. Croix rod with a Gander Tournament Series reel.

Any other techniques you guys know of using artificials through the ice? I think I want to approach this a little more serious this season and was wondering if you had any technics you could share.

This lake had almost 19 feet of clarity also. That is when I would lose sight of a gold colored angel eye jigging spoon. That may also be a factor in any suggestions you may have.

Jigging spoon, air plane jigs, plastics? Let me hear them.

Jason Roberts
    Mayer, MN

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I love catching Bass through the ice, when you find one you know there are more around hunting in a wolf pack.
    This report is from one of them days that I just happened to land on one of the packs of feeding LM, I remember it as if it was yesterday….what a hoot

Slender Spoons, Lil’ Cecils and Jig N Raps are the first I pull out when there is a presence of schooling Bass.

More than just Bass info in this report but I hope you enjoy the read.

Ice Fishing Pool 8 Report

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Bret thanks for the link to your report.

When going back to my home state of IN we often travel through Lacrosse just for the scenery, you have a very scenic location for fishing. Looks like several options for species and types of water, curret, slack, etc.

How much current is there to deal wth at that time of year?

I have never fished a river system in the winter, needless to say I would be very nervous!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

The back water lakes have slack to slight current. They make up the majority of the community holes in the La Crosse area. They are also the first to freeze over.

Some back water sloughs and cuts can be productive but in these areas you will find more current. Benches and flats off these areas hold good numbers of fish when the oxygen levels drop in the shallow water lakes. These are areas to approach with caution and normally do not have good ice until later in the season or after good cold spells of zero degree nights and low teens during the day.

As for fishing the main channel and around the dams, you need a good long streak of the cold stuff to get the moving water on top to freeze up. The main channel always needs to be approached with caution. Keeping an eye on the weather is a must because ice conditions in current can go from 8 inches to open water in just a couple hours.

All good river rats have an ice bar along with them. A good ice bar can become your best friend in a hurry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.