RainyDaze Shows IDO the Crappie Promised Land!

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Video Details: Season 4 – Episode 2. Ice Fishing. Crappie. In-Depth Outdoors Staff members James Holst & Chris Granrud hit Rainy Lake following a rare March rain storm. Travel conditions are poor but a GREAT bite on Rainy Lake crappie in the 14″ – 16″ range make this show one all winter crappie anglers will want to see!

Looking for a trophy crappie destination this winter? Click on the photo below to start the video or use this link to watch Chris Granrud and James Holst ice dozens of 14″ – 16″ crappies on Rainy Lake. Link >>> Icing Slab Crappies on Rainy Lake

fishhead50111
    Central Iowa

Awesome video of some huge crappie, checked it out this morning after work at 4:am, had ice dreams after that, easy sleep.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Watched the event Sunday morning, great job putting the show on monster crappies Chris

I have never tried PP in deep water for crappies before but just might have to give it a try. I’m sure the key is to keep it from freezing as mentioned, so I’m busting it out either in the shack or on the warmer days for a test run while drumming up them deep cruisers

arklite881south

Hey Brett,

Here is my take on PP vs. Mono. I truly believe on most instances 2lb mono will outproduce PP on bites if even the slightest nuetral bite is in place. For many years I would finesse SUMO Gils and Slabs with light light line. 99% of the time I was able to get those fish to the hole with proper back reeling and drag set to keep the horse hair from breaking. 1% of the time those oversized Pannies would break my line and my heart. Of course usually it was just the wall mounters that would do so. With knowing that I decided I couldn’t take the heartache of knowing I just lost a potential 16 inch plus slab or 11 inch gil, so made the move to PP in the smallest diameter available. Now if I luck out and pop a big eye or pike I know I’ve got a fighting chance to ice it, and also am not worried about 16.5 inch 2lb 9 oz. slabs giving ME the beatdown. Trust me nearly 3lb crappies put up a little bit of a struggle. With all this being said you can bet that I ABSOLUTELY will rig a reel up with the prototypical 2lb mono for days those fish are terribly negative. After years of staring big pannies down I have found there is not ONE answer or set up to effectively ice fish day in and day out. A guy has to play his/her cards right each day on the ice to stack up the chips!!

Lastly all panfish guys know the importance of line watching for finicky fish. In my mind there are two ways to detect the subtle suck in of a slab. One is rod watching and the other is line watching. If you noticed in the show my rod is an absolute noodle rod. I’ve iced 20lb pike on that rod with 2lb test when the stars aligned for me before, but typically you cannot afford any stretch in the line which mono will give over deep water. When I work fish the diamond jig will provide me with the slightest bend or resistance in the tip of that rod. When that bend/resistance is relieved by presumably a SUPER DONK a guy has to be on the top of his game. As we all know slabs can inhale a bait and blow it out in a second. If your one hand on the sandy, absorbing the sunshine of the day you can bet you’ll never even know what happened. By the way I use PP all year, and yes at times it is more difficult to work with than mono, but after a second in the water the line thaws. There are many ways to do it, but thats what I’m doing.

cdn
    West Central, MN

Great show! I caught it on TV yesterday morning. Those are some true slabs.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

By the way I use PP all year, and yes at times it is more difficult to work with than mono, but after a second in the water the line thaws.

We just fish it on “rainy days” so there’s no line icing problems, right Chris? I can still hear Chris say… “was THAT THUNDER?! You gotta’ be kiddin’ me!!”

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Awesome show guys! I appreciated the conservation perspective at the end. That’s something pretty special, great to see the respect/restraint you guys showed. Congrats on a great show and phenomenal bite!

Joel

arklite881south

LOL!! No doubt we’ve fished in all sorts weather. From waves that had the camera man white knuckled in perfect storm conditions to Mark riding the back of my sled like a jet ski to 27 below and blowing while icing those SUMO eyes!! Tough guys!! LOL!! BELIEVE IT OR NOT…..We’ve got nice weather too, and my prediction is we’ll have some more NEXT YEAR!! I do try avoid those days though I’m not sure if anybody knows, but it is expected to be brilliant the next couple days up here!! Very VERY bad news for Rainy Lake Footballs!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Absolutely amazing. I guess that is how the boys over on Red Lake felt for a while.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Dear. Mr. Granrud,

All I want for Christmas is to go on a crazy crappie hunt with you again in 2013. Let’s make it happen. Those Rainy lake slabs are something special!

arklite881south

Quote:

Dear. Mr. Granrud,

All I want for Christmas is to go on a crazy crappie hunt with you again in 2013. Let’s make it happen. Those Rainy lake slabs are something special!

Have you been good.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Dear. Mr. Granrud,

Have you been good.

Please define “good.”

arklite881south

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dear. Mr. Granrud,

Have you been good.

Please define “good.”

It’s ice making weather right now. Keep the wind and snow away and we’ll be dancing soon. Just called my search and destroy team and told them to call in sick to their paying jobs.

brianm
    Le Suer County, MN

16 inch slabs, that is what dreams are made of. Can’t wait for a tight line.

icetroller
    Ludington, Michigan

Awesome, I’ve caught thousands of crappie in 50 yrs of ice fishing but never that big. Truly magnificent specimens. 14 1/2 is my biggest. Thanks for sharing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.