Braided line?

• crappie66
    Iowa City, IA

Do you use it?
    If so what weight and brand?

For those that do use it what do you cut it with.

I put some 2 lb Fire Line Crystal Ice on one rod just to give it a try.
    I have tried clippers and they work but not well. Need to find something better.
    Thanks
    John

stuart
    Mn.

Fiskas child scissors.2 bucks at walmart,buy 10 pair,they get lost.

arklite881south

I’m a huge braided fan for jig fishing, and slinging jerkbaits. I use 10lb test powerpro which I believe to be leading the market today with a truly long casting smooth weaved line. Yep…….CUT WITH SCISSORS. For long casting jigs in any wind, depth, or current your at a serious disadvantage in my book slinging mono. Bite detection is second to none, and hookset power is fantastic with the no stretch features of any braid. What I have noticed is Powerpro holds up much better than Fireline. Just my 2…3 cents worth.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I sure do use it ,

Line size 10lb and 80lb Power Pro,also have one spooled with Fire Line Crystal., Prefer the PP tho

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

ICE FISHING = Berkley Vanish 2 or 4 lb. pending your target. Tout stuff!

OPEN WATER = I don’t care to fish with a rubber band….I mean mono.

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

Hey Crappie I use the 2 lbs fireline for ice fishing too. I believe the diameter is like 3/4 lbs. The line is tiny but strong. Since I tried it I havent gone back to mono for ice fishing. The feel imo is way better with the fireline. But if your gonna use a cork you may want a rod rigged with mono.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

For ice fishing I would recommend using braided line only under 2 conditions….1. you fish in a heated house, or 2.its unseasonly warmer weather/sunny days….reason is that braided line will retain water and freeze. If your fishing outside in January with braided line it will freeze up, you will not be able to use your reel. Once you catch a fish you will do old school hand over hand to fight the fish. If you fish outside I would suggest a good mono line vs any braid. Open water fishing is another conversation…

foxman79
    Anoka, MN

Quote:

Fiskas child scissors.2 bucks at walmart,buy 10 pair,they get lost.

same here

crappie66
    Iowa City, IA

Mmm, hadn’t thought about it freezing, thanks for the heads up.

Did find the scissors at Wally World, excellent tip, thanks.

And thanks to all,
    John

dentmeister1

Cigarettes work nicely to burn the line. I recommend that you just start smoking.

wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

Quote:

Cigarettes work nicely to burn the line. I recommend that you just start smoking.

I chuckled when I read this. Not every day you hear that reccomendation.

mojogunter

Ha Funny I wasn’t ready for that response.

Quote:

Quote:

I chuckled when I read this. Not every day you hear that reccomendation.

brittlab
    North Central Iowa

I like the 1# crystal for sight fishing gills. I also use 3# for working buckshot spoons/

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I just switched up 2 pole to the power pro hi vis yellow. 8lb test 2 lb diameter. I love it. Feeling the bite and the bottom much better with this line vs. mono. I can also get off snags a lot better.

Check out the new Frabill line saber. Although I think Stuart’s suggestion may be far more economical.

LINE SABER LINE CUTTER W/LED

Russ

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Wow mojog that’s one nice avatar!

VSRangerMan
    Chippewa Falls,WI

I was going through way too many smokes trying to get all my rods rigged. I have tried different types of superline scissors & they work but will get dull over time.Berkley has a relatively new item out which is called Berkley Hot Wire Line Cutter.I have only had it 1 season but it works simply AWESUM ! Has a LED & comes with 2 hotwire tips.The downside is it runs on batteries.Keep them fresh & your good to go.Braided line doesnt stand a chance with this babies cherry red tip!They retail for about $25 which to me is a small price to pay over having frayed cut line.It will also mend together some of those favorite beat up plastics a person might be getting low on. Do a google search & check it out under Tackle Tour.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Those things could hurt someone

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

Quote:

Those things could hurt someone

Kinda makes my groin ache

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Sorry what did you say? I was too busy viewing you avatar. Nice.

crappie66
    Iowa City, IA

Umm, live and learn.
    The sales clerk at the local sporting good store pointed out this morning that Fire line Crystal is a “fused” line not a braided line per se. The Fireline micro ice, he says, is designed to function at lower temps than plain Fireline crystal ice.
    All of which is to say that a fused line will not absorb water as would braided line
    John

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Braided, fused… doesn’t seem to matter to me if the temps are below freezing. They both absorb water and freeze on the spool. If one is better than the other, well, it isn’t good enough. I love fishing no stretch lines when temps allow but you won’t find either on my ice rods when I’m going to be outside jumping holes in cold temps.

crappie66
    Iowa City, IA

Just for the heck of it I soaked the spool of Fireline crystal ice in water for a half hour and put it in the freezer for 2 hours. Worked fine.
    Just the same I will have it on only one rod and keep the other one filled with mono until real world experience proves things one way or the other
    John

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Just for the heck of it I soaked the spool of Fireline crystal ice in water for a half hour and put it in the freezer for 2 hours. Worked fine.

Just the same I will have it on only one rod and keep the other one filled with mono until real world experience proves things one way or the other

John

Running it through the paces out there on the ice is the best way to find out what works for you and the way you fish.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.