Marcum VS 825c

• fishhead50111
    Central Iowa

Been reading up on an underwater camera, looking at getting a Marcum VS825c color model. Any pro/cons vs a B&W model.
    Thanks.

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

Just wait Bk will let you know

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Fishhead, it really depends on where you plan on using it mostly.

The color unit is fantastic in lakes and relatively shallow portions of the river during the day.

In deep water where the light doesn’t penetrate or night fishing the color camera turns into a b&w camera anyway. I’ll put up some video in the next post to give you a graphic idea of what to expect from both.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

River Fishing go with the B/W Marcum 820 instead and save a $100 for gear
    I love mine and very glad I went with the B/W model, hoping to do some recording this winter myself

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

This is a good video of a lake although I wish it had some green weeds in it…but you get the drift.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

This video is using the 825c too. It’s shot in 36 feet of water and the first portion of the video is where the camera is lowered to the bottom and then the lights are turned on. Notice it’s all B&W.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Here’s Marty Hahn’s B&W camera video

Which one is right for you? It really depends where, how and what time of day you’re planning on fishing…or should I say…watching your camera.

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

I use both the 825C alongside of another brand of B/W and there is no comparison.It all depends on if you want to spend the extra $$$ to have fun.

fishhead50111
    Central Iowa

Thanks for the input and videos BrianK, much appreciated. The B&W model will do the job. Need to do some scouting and get on some fish at these 3 lakes, do something different.
    There are 3 lakes close to me.
    1st is a federal flood control lake that during winter the lake level and outfolow does not change, seen that the last 2 years, been on it with a friend many times with an Aqua view at 9pm at nite and was surprised how much could be seen with the light on, I found some unmarked rock points, humps and deep water breaks this last summer there that are close to shore enough to do on the ice, will be giving that a thorough try this season, day and at nite, good water clarity, big fish in there, I dont think many try there.
    2nd, is a lake that is a state lake, fished a lot by many, has been stocked with a lot of producers, will give that a good shot at 30ft and less, good water clarity,need some new spots there.
    3rd, well, is a favorite lake of mine, that is mud bottom that does get stained when drainage happens, 14 ft deep fishable, nice panfish from there.
    Wanting to get into some larger fish locally, it seems like no one else tries or has spoke of. If I do good I will post it up,
    Thanks again.
    Just have to find the camera locally.

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

I went through wade at Jolly Ann marine if it helps,Finding it on your doorstep is as local as you can get.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Central Iowa- your going to want the B/W…I’ve used both extensively in Iowa, and my nod goes to the b/w…

baldwin4
    NE IA

Remember our water clarity in IA isn’t like MN lakes.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Remember our water clarity in IA isn’t like MN lakes.

I hear ya..for the record, the last two videos were taken in the Mississippi River. They clean up pretty good in Jan/Feb.

The guys suggesting the B&W’s are right on from what I’ve heard about IA. No personal experience…and I plan on keeping it that way.

fishhead50111
    Central Iowa

Thanks for all the great info and advice, ordered the VS 820 this afternoon, will have it next week. Cant wait to play with it before ice cometh.

shaley
    Milford IA

I don’t know where you muddy water up north guys get your info, my Iowa lakes are Gin Clear Seats open all winter for you Brian for some West Okoboji sight fishing. I’ll change your mind about us ” Southerners”

fishhead50111
    Central Iowa

I also purchased the Marcum compas accessory to help keep the camera in position. Might have to try recording some video at nite/stained water daytime without the light on, and rendering the video when uploading it into a video editing program, to the pc, and see what’s down there, in central Iowa waters. This should be a very useful tool for ice fishing here.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

The most important accesory to that camera is the Marcum Compass. This will save a ton of time “spinning” the cable to get the camera facing in the correct direction. Enjoy the new camera…looking forward to the videos…

fishhead50111
    Central Iowa

Will do my best to provide some video’s this next ice.

fishhead50111
    Central Iowa

Received the 820 this afternoon, had to shut the office door, shut off the lights, and turn on the unit. I did not realize the unit has a dual lighting option, infrared and high intensity blue, with both intensities adjustable. Cant wait to try it out.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

has a dual lighting option

Did they blind you?

fishhead50111
    Central Iowa

The “Fish in Headlights” thing is not what i was thinking of posting about.

fishhead50111
    Central Iowa

Brian, what brand/type of camera did you use in those video’s?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The color version of what you bought the 825c.

fishhead50111
    Central Iowa

OK, what kind of a recording device was used? I did not have any luck trying to find a camcorder locally that had a video input. I did find on a site 4 made by AIPTEK that can record from a devic ethat has RCA output.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Last month James Holst sold some Cannon cameras that he said were great for recording video from the 825 since it is identical to the 820 except for color screen they should work on either. Canon ZR30 MC and the Canon ZR 80

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Yup, those cams work fantastic. It is hard to find a good one that doesn’t have head alignment issues but if you do they work great.

walleyefever
    Fairmont Mn

I have a panasonic vdr-m50pp camcorder and have recorded video from my marcum.Dvd ram discs and it also has a remote which allows you to turn it off and on very quickly.You can get one on the big-e auction site for just over a hundred.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I tell you what, once the video is on tape and it’s played on a computer screen or a TV…I’m always amazed at what I missed on the water because I was making sure I didn’t run into shore. Which reminds me, it’s always best to have two people in the boat when filming on open water.

A person to run the camera and one to stay in tune with navigation is a must!

fishhead50111
    Central Iowa

Knowing how crapiies are attracted to light, I want to try using the camera LED light, adjustable, suspended and after dusk, from a different ice hole at an agle, pointing towards the jig from another hole, to see how the fish react to jigs, and to record it. Learning lessons are good. Just an idea.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Might want to get yourself some Reel Weeds.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.