Couple perchin’ questions

• Coreyc
    La Crosse/Amery, WI

Hey guys looking for a little insight here, the crappie bite up my way has been tough so I decided to hunt some perch the last several days

Situation 1- I set up off a steep drop from 5′ sand flat that breaks steeply into a 25′ sand/gravel flat. I was able hook about 4 big momma’s that were 12″+. Besides these fish, I didnt mark any others. Being that I only drill with my hand lazer, I was only fishin a circle of 50 yard diameter. I know there has to be some more perch in there, but these were the only ones that showed up on my lx-2. Is it likely that they are schooled up somewhere else on that flat and I was just picking up a few off the edge, or was I catching some isolated perch?

Situation 2- Fished a sand/muck flat that drops gently from 10′ to 25′ again. I was in the perch pretty thick, most of them being cigars with a few 10″ that I coaxed out. I assume that the majority of fish on this flat were within this size range so I wasnt too surprised to not catch any fatty’s. As soon as it got dark, bam, didnt mark another fish again. Where do you think these perch are heading once night hits? Also, any keys to gettin the biggins, fish edges of the flat? Or do I gotta find that spot on the spot?

Sorry I was so long winded, figured I’d try to give you guys a good idea. Water clarity in these regions are similar being about 8-10ft in the summer and considerably clearer in the winter. Thanks in advance guys!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.