Black Holes???

• fisheyes925
    Sandstone, MN

Does anybody have information on what causes black holes in ice? I read on one of the other forums that a 21 year old ice fisherman drowned on Round Lake by Brainerd last weekend after going through skimmed ice with his 4 wheeler. This was on a lake he fished many times and knew very well. The ice seems to be doing weird things this year. I dont know if this is caused by the low water levels or what. I’ve lived on a lake by Sandstone for 35 years and theres a big spot that refuses to freeze over. Its the first time I’ve ever seen this happen. I dont mean to freak anybody out, but be very very careful.

shayla

Do you live on Grindstone by chance? Love that lake but it’s a bugger to freeze-over!

Anyhow, I read once that those holes can be caused by either a spring nearby or gases escaping from the lake bottom. Not sure if either one is true or not, but I do remember reading something about it….Clear as mud, huh?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Springs. The spring water is warmer, it warms up the lake water in the area and affects the ice above it. If you’re in drought conditions and the lake level is lower the ice is closer to the spring and the problem is worse. There’s also less lake water to disperse the spring water.

Back in the late 80’s we had some very dry years. White Bear Lake wasn’t known for eating ice fishermen but during those winters there were holes all over the lake that no one had seen before. The explanation given by the DNR was that it was due to low lake levels.

I stay away from the dark spots

Rootski

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Another one of the lakes in the brainerd area last year(it think it was close to 371) had an issue with a big spot staying open and they couldnt figure out why. They put divers in to test it and has 60 degree water temps or something like that. I cant remember the lake, but it was a BIG spot that was open. It would have to be one heck of a spring.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Waypoint those springs. Big pike often hang out in springs in summertime.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Hi Dave,

I think that was North Long, and yes it was an enormous hole. I think the divers were looking for meteors or aircraft. The hole was that big. Apparently they had a very heavy rainfall in the area right before ice up. The theory was that this water was seeping through the ground over a period of time and eventually made it to the lake. When it squirted up into the lake it melted the ice overhead. Spooky!

Rootski

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

I was North long. This has been a recurent issue there. It showed up about 5 years ago. I think the problem has persisted ever since.

I’m certain it has happend numerous years on NL.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Ground water or spring water is always about 52 degrees F year round. That could melt the ice in a hurry.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You guys ever here of the “Meth Hole” on Horseshoe?

Methane gas bubbles up all year, it the winter it stays open with the exception of very very cold weather. It’s not a big spot but it’s still a spot to avoid!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Brian beat me to it. It is methane and carbon dioxide that does that. Recently, a lake in central MN exploded because of CO and methane from decaying plants and fish poop! Not flames or anything, but “The ice just blew up!” according to some home owners on the lake.
    You can see a number of these holes when flying over lakes and ponds. They look like someone dropped a big rock from way up in the air.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Great.. thats all I need sitting on my trusty seat, staring at the flasher and trying to jig up a walleye.. an explosion sending ice flying everywhere!

For some of those that know me real well.. thats just my luck too!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Great.. thats all I need sitting on my trusty seat, staring at the flasher and trying to jig up a walleye.. an explosion sending ice flying everywhere!

For some of those that know me real well.. thats just my luck too!

Dave, you can greatly increase your chance of survival in cases like that if you only have one portion of Sherry’s Chilli prior to going fishing.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I was wondering how long it would take before somebody made a reference to human methane production. I knew it would be you BrianK I just didn’t know how long it would take

Rootski

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Boom!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just want him to be safe Rootski!

He’s got another kid to watch over now.

1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

It bad enough we have to worry about thin ice. Now we have to watch out for meth explosions and flying ice. So now when you go out, you better wear your life jacket and a hard hat.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.