Iowa Lake

• kirk moe
    Algona,Iowa

Well, my wife gave me a free pass yesterday and I took advantage of it…

Heard the perch had been biting before ice season so we thought we would give her a shot.
    I was joined by my brother Eric until mid morning.
    Eric with our fisrt keeper perch!
    My first keeper!
    Fished form 4-7fow just off a point. There wasn’t a steady bit, but when a school would push through it light up my FL-20. I fished an FL-8 before and man I am impressed with this unit. The flat screen is first class Eric and I could move the puck from hole to hole and not move the unit to see the face. In the afternoon it seemed pretty dead I would jump holes around the point to find the fish. This seemed to work better than sitting in one hole. I picked up a few more perch and a couple bonus crappies by doing this.
    It really didn’t matter on what kind of presentation but I think waxworms were the key. Fish were taken on northland buckshot and forage minnows, pilkies all tiped with waxworms.
    I think I had a big northern on. All of a sudden the vexilar turned red by my jig and wake it was on. Funny thing I first thought it was a pe4rch until I set the hook and it wouldn’t budge. I put some more pressure on him, and then he took off like a strike of lightning. Man I wasn’t ready for that one I didn’t get on the back reel fast enough and he broke off.
    All in all it was great to get out for the first time even though the fishing was slow.
    Ended the day with 8 keeper perch that ranged from 10″-12 1/4″ and one crappie.

kirk moe
    Algona,Iowa

my first keeper!

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

Nice report I might have to make a trip this winter up there 12in perch are nice fish

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Thanks for the report Kirk!

gagervais

you better be ready to go again this sunday cuz i will have my new SOS and we all no how well that works and might even have my cam too….nice report i wish i could have gone

chomps
    Sioux City IA

sorry, have not heard of this lake before. Where is is at? Thank-you

kirk moe
    Algona,Iowa

Iowa lake is on the Mn line right off of hwy15

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Thanks, If I recall you guys had straight line winds in that area in July, there was corn laying flat all over the place.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Nice fish Moe!! The water in the picks looks kinda dirty? Just the pic, or is the water dirty?

gagervais

moe give me a report up there on what the ice is like i want to know if i am gona be able to try my new cam and new sos out let me know

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

Liked your report Moe. Haven’t been there for years but grew up in that area and thought it was a good lake and caught a lot of fish.

kirk moe
    Algona,Iowa

Chomps had some nasty storms earlier this yr up to 12″ of rain in some parts of the North Central part of the state.

Anthony I’ll get you a report later in the week.

Luke the water visibility is about 2′ so yes it’s a bit cloudy but not necessarily dirty… It might be the pics???

Old Bear, this lake will keep producing nice perch, walleyes crappie and even pike as long as everyone lets go those smaller fish to grow.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.