Line for jiggin walleyes

• Thinice1
    Elk River, MN

What kind of line would you recommend for jiggin walleyes through the ice? i have used fireline micro ice but i have never been a huge fan of it i also used power pro, but i wanna know what is the best?

Thinice1
    Elk River, MN

I thought about it but dont you get bit off a lot when the walleye is hitting that spoon or chubby darter?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Nope, Pike maybe, but not eyes.. P-line is extremely abrasion resistant.

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

I have pretty much switched my rods over to 6# P-Line in Moss Green for most of my walleye and perch fishing. This line stays limp in the cold weather and seems to stand up very well to abrasion.

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

Love all P-line so far But have not tried the ice stuff yet Its on my list

Thinice1
    Elk River, MN

i suppose they dont break my seaguar off in the summer so they shouldnt break it in the winter

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Blue Fleck got me hooked on the P-Line as well Never had a bite off from ice eyes. The line is really strong and stays limp in the cold

eyebuster
    Duluth

Never seen the P line before is it in all the stores?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Yep, it is in all the stores

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

P-line makes about 20 different lines, Make sure its the Floroice..

cny tim
    Rome, NY

DJ- Tried the P Line CX Premium clear last season #2 for perch and crappies, tough stuff. Liked it so much I purchased some #6 and #8 pd. test for walleyes. What’s the big difference between the flouroice and this stuff?

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I have even been running it in the summer.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I use Berkely Vanish because it is cheap and works as good as P-Line. Nothing against P-Line, just the price. Either way, you want to use flourocarbon

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Berkley Vanish Transition for me.

Chad

scottsteil
    Central MN

Chad, I was going to give Transition a try also this year. If it works like I think it should, it could be the prefect ice line. I was a little dissapointed in the price the last time I checked. Has it gotten any better?

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Scott, unfortunately the price has not come down much (if any). If you give some a try this winter I’m sure you will be happy with the performance.

p.s…..I still use regular Vanish on my Ultra light set ups

Chad

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I know the question was about Walleye’s but I was interested in knowing if anyone has tried the P-Line in 2# for pannies? I’m ready to try something new for ice fishing line!

Bret

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I haven’t used the P-Line 2#, but I have tried Dave Koonce’s 5mil sewing thread for panfish. That stuff is incredibly strong.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I do use 2# P-line for panfish on my ice rods. It is great line, but it is a bear to tie in the shack. It is nearly invisible and when your fingers are a little cold it gets tough

emover
    Malcom, IA

I got some 2 lb P-line last year, and wound up spooling it on an ultralight this spring. The stuff is amazingly tough, and I really like the way it lays on the spool. I had never had good luck with any other 2 lb test line casting 64th and 80th oz jigs, but this stuff rocks! I liked it so much, I spooled up 2 extra spools w/6 lb for a couple of my rods this summer.

Mike, you’re right, I’m blind as a bat, and tying it(2 lb) is a challenge But it sure is tought to break, so don’t have to retie as often

dave

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.