Prepping the Big Fish house…………………….

• hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

You ever think you had all the bases covered?

Everything in the house works, Lights, Stove, Furnace.

You got candles for the holes and new line on the buzzer boxes.

Blocking cut, pry bar and jack under the bunk.

Scoop shovel, buckets and sleeping bag.

Short list so far? Well there are a lot of things you forget about needing and three trips later we had most of it covered!

I ran up late Wednesday night hoping to get the big house out early Thursday morning. I packed things up and left from the cities about 8:00PM. 1st blunder, I left all the cooking utensils sitting on the kitchen table. I didn’t need them but wanted it out of my hair for later on. Get up north about 10:00PM and throw what I remembered to bring in the fishhouse and get to bed about midnight.

Thursday morning Bob’s over before 7:00 and we have the house jacked down off the blocks and head down to the resort to check in with George at Hunter’s.

He says one of the guy’s will be right over to tow us down. After a quick coffee were off to the races. The house is on the move and I’m throwing all the last minute extras into the back of the truck, coffee pot, dish pan, pizza pan, soap, towels, water jug………….

See anything we forgot?

We get the house out on the spot we want to start, get it blocked and banked when Bob asks “you got your auger?” I say “No!” He asks “you got bait?” I say “Nope!” He says “Well, start making a list and I’ll run the plow in and grab my auger and bait.”

Well, I look around at what I need to get, Clock, drill, pizza (as I had already forgot the pans at home to cook with and I’m hungry) and a couple boards to brace some new shelves I just put in.

I take off for the house, pick up what I can remember going in for, and head right back out to the house. 25 minute round trip.

I get back, Bob’s already back ready to drill holes when he looks at me and says “where’s your ice scoop?” I give him that sheepish look???

Not one hanging anywhere in the house! Now understand it’s been 8 years since we last put the big house on the lake, it’s served primarily as James’s and company’s summer and fall guest home!

Bob looks at me all wound up and says, “I told you to make a list!”

Well by now I am starting to laugh out loud as I tried to blurt out the words at him “ it’s kind of hard to make a list when you have nothing to write with.”

When I went in I made sure I grabbed a pencil to write with and make a list. Those that know us, know the jokes about our lists!

So we start our list, got the lines in and started fishing.

The pizza was great and as usual Bob caught the first fish.

We are back out on the lake for another season and ready for the get-together in January!

I’d like to give a special Thank You to Bob for all the help with the house and to Tuck for the Idea of putting the big house out again for another winter!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Good story, Tim. Looks like fun.

Quote:

Now understand it’s been 8 years since we last put the big house on the lake…

I think it’s been about 8 years since I spent a night in a sleeper on Milly. Darn shame!

-J.

emover
    Malcom, IA

Hooks,
    It sounds like sooo many of my family adventures, I am sitting here
    After all if ya can’t laugh about it, why bother.
    Good story. Thanks

dave

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Now to add to the Calamity of errors, I get back home last night to find out, somewhere on the highway coming home Josh and I pass each other. He’s headed up to fish and I home. Well, I walk into the kitchen and here sits the pots and pans. He forgot them too!

About 10:00PM we get a call from him wanting to know where I left his keys for the fishhouse?
    I left them in the garage on the picnic table right where I told you.
    Where is my garage key?
    Oh Crap!
    There on the ring with the fishhouse key in the garage.

We tell him to go to Bob’s, wake him up and get his keys!

Can you say like father, like son?

Hope his day of fishing goes good or I might not hear the end of this for awhile.
    Kinda like the Knox Point faux pas!!!

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Good to hear I’m not the only one. Maybe see you guys on Monday.

emover
    Malcom, IA

I can’t help but think ‘cuban invasion’

dave

big_g
    Isle, MN

good to see the “house” i cut my teeth in on mille lacs, back at her !!! cool !!!

g

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’m also afflicted with CRS….Can’t Remeber S….Stuff.

-J.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Just talked to the boys up on the lake.

There getting a few but say it’s so foggy on the lake you could cut it with a knife!

The morning started out with the lake road closed due to the cracks heaving from the warm weather expansion.

Bob meets with Josh and there looking for the guy’s there meeting with from Hastings (Chappy). They can’t get their snowmobile running, they flooded it. Then tore the recoil rope out of it.

So Bob and Josh hit the ice and the boys were on ther own.

They ended up going down to Liberty and using their road to the flats. They’ll meet up out on the main lake, Oh Well!

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Well we just got off the lake. The cracks and ice ridge is all busted up. The resorts on the eastside are getting all the cars and trucks off the ice. Snowmoblies and ATVs are ok……This warm up in temperature is bad for ice…….If anyone is planning on making the trip to Mille Lacs, make sure to call ahead and see how the access conditions are. And also make a list so you don’t forget all your stuff.

I’ll post a report later on our catch!

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Quote:

Where is my garage key?
    Oh Crap!
    There on the ring with the fishhouse key in the garage.

We tell him to go to Bob’s, wake him up and get his keys!

Can you say like father, like son?

It’s a good thing he did’nt come over as I went to bed at 9:45….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.