Northern MN. fishing?

• fygr8

We are at the peak of the perch ice bite and there is no chatter. My concern is not the bite, but yet the travel! If you were heading out on Winnie or the surrounding lakes would a four-wheeler suffice or should a guy be using a snowmobile? I realize a little snow is in the forecast for friday so maybe a sled is the safe bet? Any input would be appreciated!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

According to many they weren’t even biting on Winnie last weekend so I don’t know about peaking.

Whatever you do be careful. I fished 2 feet of ice by Spooner Wi last Sat and it was the worst 2 feet of ice I ever saw. So soft my auger kept getting bound up on the way down

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Just got done talking with friends who were out yesterday and tonight on a torrid bite!!! They were fishing and were happy that they took the wheeler… That said, they also said that with this weekends snow forecast, it could be sleds again… The biggest problem they said for the sleds were the loss of any snow on top to cool and lube the slides…

BTW, they caught about a 100 fish yesterday during much of the major before they slowed down and today was similar though little slower and the fish needed a little bit more coaxing… Everything bit on red and the catch was mostly crappies and perch with both species running in the 8″ to 12″ range…

Mark

fygr8

Thanks for that info! We are taking sleds to be safe. Warmer temps will create the surface to soften enough giving adequate lube to the slides.
    Looks as if we will be driving out of the eye of the storm to get there!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.