What lb test line for lake trout through the ice?

• Al Case

A bit late for this season, maybe…but, what lb test would you use for lakers? I’m thinking 10 lb. braid of one brand or another, but that’s an educated guess on my part. And, would you use a flouro leader?
    Thanks,
    Al

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

20 lb braid with a 15 to 20 lb flouro leader is what i prefer.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Depends. I caught a lot on 6lb mono. But depth of water makes
    A Difference. Also size of fish you expect to catch. What James said will work too.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve been using 12 lb nanofil for fishing superior this year. My only complaint about it is that it has no abrasion resistance. Peeling the ice off the line has frayed it a few times and had to break it off and retie.

I’ve been using a 15 lb floro leader. Mainly because I didn’t have any 10 or 12 lb.

I like the thinner dia line for fishing superior because the current up there has been brutal at times.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Quote:

A bit late for this season, maybe…but, what lb test would you use for lakers? I’m thinking 10 lb. braid of one brand or another, but that’s an educated guess on my part. And, would you use a flouro leader?
    Thanks,
    Al

It isn’t too late yet! Grab some 832, I’ve got plenty of extra fluoro leader… Drive up to Ely tonight and go catch lakers with me and some buddies all day tomorrow!

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

20 lb braid with a 15 to 20 lb flouro leader is what i prefer.

Ditto, maybe 12 on flouro in a pinch.

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

I have always used 10# braid and 10# floro leader and have had no problems. Good luck it is fun

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.