Late Ice continues in Sodak

• Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Right now we are seeing 24-30 inches of ice in South Dakota bottom 8-12 inches is honeycombed top 20 is rock solid at the moment. Few new cracks are forming and some slush seems bubbling up. I have been using a 4wheeler for travel. I am finding perch on deep basins in 30-33 fow. It is key to follow the basin edge not just the random basin. For others this may work but I have found better numbers running the deep edge where nearby is say 28 fow. Perch have been coming on smaller VMC rattle spoons in gold and red loaded up with 10-12 spikes with a few eater size eyes mixed in. Walleyes are coming on sloughs and shallow entrances to large spawning bays in 6-8 fow. Look for a travel route to a north or northwest bay on a lake and fish the shallow adjacent point. These have been coming on VMC rattle spoons size 1/8oz in glow green. I have also been turning a few good size fish with #5 snap raps in Helsinki shad pattern. Most of the fish right now are eater size 15-18 inch males looking to get to the spawning grounds early. Expect more and more bigger females to turn up as time goes on. Joel had the big fish card the last few days with a few quality fish in the low to mid 20s coming topside. Continued success to all and stay safe out there. – QB

chomps
    Sioux City IA

it would help us see you better if your shack didn’t blend in so well. Might have a day of it on Sunday, let you know if we are heading up that a way. Pete

scmelik
    South Dakota

nice work buddy. Wish I could find the time to get out and take advantage of the great late ice bite that we are having right now.

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

As Quintin mentioned, the ice has stayed in fairly decent condition, but the bottom 12″ is honeycombed. ATV or walking is the suggested method of travel. I mention this only because I watched a number of guys drive on a lake earlier this week and break through at the ramp. Another one showed up last night with a truck and permie. If he wants to take a chance, fine… but he had two small children with. Not my idea of a smart parent.

Late ice has been producing some nice eye’s for me this week. I’ve been targeting pre-spawn area’s, looking for some sort of gravel-laden area in relatively shallow water. Most of my fish have been in 4′ to 7′ fow, with a majority of the fish in these area being males ranging from 12″ to 20″. A few larger females are mixed in. A few quick measurements and photos, and the girls get back in the water. Rattling spoons such as the VMC Rattle Spoon and Northland Buckshot Glider spoons in gold, perch or chartruse colors have been working well for me. The key for me has been to keep it moving.

Be safe and think safety first.

scmelik
    South Dakota

nice work, some dang nice fish. With this warm weather we have today and coming tomorrow how do you think the ice is going to fair? I’d like to get out tomorrow but will be by myself so if the ice is getting to sketchy then I am going to stay home.

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Scott, by all means don’t miss this late ice period. Some of the best fishing is going on right now. The temps today did little to the ice. The wind kept it pretty darn cold out there today. Those fish were all caught the last week and half, with that big girl this morning at first light.

I swung by that ‘lake’ I talked to you a while about and even the ice there was still fishable.

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

Scott, by all means don’t miss this late ice period. Some of the best fishing is going on right now. The temps today did little to the ice. The wind kept it pretty darn cold out there today. Those fish were all caught the last week and half, with that big girl this morning at first light.

I swung by that ‘lake’ I talked to you a while about and even the ice there was still fishable.

sent you a pm

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.