Saylorville Lake

• trekr200
    Red Wing, MN

Does anybody know the current ice conditions on Saylorville Lake near Des Moines?

Thank you,
    Mike

Grawler

Ice fished it right before the last big thaw we had and there was over 20″ of ice. I imagine it’s still the same but dirty water has messed up the fishing on the res’ down here.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Mike,

I can’t be much help but I did drive thru the Des Moines area last Sunday. Based on that and roadside observations, there is plenty of ice to drive on. Snow conditions should be drivable but you may encounter some drifting. The snow melted then refroze recently so it should be fairly hard packed all over.

I hope someone local will chime in and can give you better info.

BBKK
    IA

Be careful driving on saylorvill if you do not know the lake! That is a flowage and there are spots of thinner ice. You would be okay with an ATV or sled but you might hit a spot with 8-10″ with your truck, not sure if that is something you will make it past.

Otherwise there is plenty of ice to fish, and the last I heard there is no problem getting on the ice.

trekr200
    Red Wing, MN

Thanks for the information. Any suggestions on where to fish? I have never been there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.