Hand Tied Ice Jigs

• BBKK
    IA

Had enough chenille to tie 3 jigs, but I thought I’d try something for ice fishing late season crappies.

What do you guys think? I’m totally new to tying these style jigs, this are my 2nd and 3rd jigs tied. And the last for a while.

1/32 oz with #10 hooks. The brown is marabou and shrinks to a tiny little ratso-like tail in the water. The chartreuse is feather and stays pretty much the way it is.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

If the correct conditions are there, they’ll work. I’ve been doing a lot of weighted stone fly patterns and they are kicking

BBKK
    IA

Wow, I bet they are! Those look like fish candy!

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Look great to me! Hope you hammer those Slabs!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Kevin,
    Tie a few of those jigs up with a green-chartreuse head and blood red marabou. I assure you that color pattern works great over the mud

BBKK
    IA

Sounds like an interesting combination! Will have to try and scrounge up some red marabou when I place a supplies order next payday.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I just put a report up for run/gun pannies. Take a close look at the red wedgee in the pick. That one has fleck in it, but look for the deep red like the wedgee, NOT bright red. huge difference

milemark_714

Quote:

If the correct conditions are there, they’ll work. I’ve been doing a lot of weighted stone fly patterns and they are kicking

That one on the lower right,you should just throw that in the garbage .J/K,with a few color changes,that would out-fish a lot of store bought jigs.Black/chartreuse can be the bomb!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Scott, if I remember right, you or pinky tied that one. I’ve put about 150 or so gills and crappies on that one fly. Looks a bit tattered, but it was tied well. still hammering them on it!

scott-k
    Red Wing

For first ties, those are great! As Randy said, right conditions and fish will be caught.

I also use a darks a lot on hand tied jigs. Tying in black rubber legs like the spider works wonders for me in the winter.

Love the eyes on the lower right too! Good to see people working this! Not enough people tie anymore. Would love to set up a swap with other people who tie…

Bryan Myers

Now you’ve got me thinking I should dig out my fly tying gear and tie up some jigs myself. I have had a lot of luck on jigs with marabou in them so I am more partial to the top jig myself, but they’ll both do well.

milemark_714

Quote:

Scott, if I remember right, you or pinky tied that one. I’ve put about 150 or so gills and crappies on that one fly. Looks a bit tattered, but it was tied well. still hammering them on it!

That was one from the mid 80s,for use on picky Mendota gills.That was also the time I first seen the use of plastic being used.Basically a snip of rubber band will work.

blufloyd

better luck with ice flies with no tail here. tied a few with new UV dyes pretty nice looking but haven’t hammered anything with them yet.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Quote:

Had enough chenille to tie 3 jigs, but I thought I’d try something for ice fishing late season crappies.

What do you guys think? .

1/32 oz with #10 hooks. The brown is marabou and shrinks to a tiny little ratso-like tail in the water. The chartreuse is feather and stays pretty much the way it is.

Kevin,

Kind of hard to answer your question without a fair and impartial trial period. Please send me a dozen of each and I’ll get back to you with a full report at the end of the season.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.