SM auger ?

• abster71
    crawford county WI

Just purchased older SM auger and starts hard about 15 pulls. I see the newer models have a primer bulb on them. Has anyone installed aftermarket bulb to help start. When I first got it started on 4-5 pulls. Also wondering if I hit the throttle a couple times and have it on choke if that would help out. Planning on getting tuned up end off season.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sounds like the same way mine starts. New plug properly gaped might help. Im not to worried about giving it a few pulls to get it started. It pulls very easy and always starts. Never let me down in 14 winters.

Not sure if I would try holding that throttle to start it. When she goes its going to take off spinning on you.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Keeping waiting for the pull cord to snap on mine but it doesnt even show signs of much wear.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Assuming its got the tecumseh engine. Probably could use a carb cleaning. A carburetor rebuild never hurts anything.

Sam Held
    Rocklake, ND

Mine is 8 yrs old with a tec engine. Mine is cold blooded unless, I leave the blade guard on, push the throttle, choke it, and she will start in 2 pulls. I leave the blade guard on because it does start spinning right off the bat. I have had to do this for the past 6 years.

abster71
    crawford county WI

Thanks for the info I’ll give those ideas a shot, most small engines are finiky just have to find what works.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I was having issues and turned my idle up a little bit. 1/2 turn and changed the spark plug. Added a little sea foam in the gas as well.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Okay. So owning this auger for 14 years now this weekend I decided to try hitting the throttle a couple of times to maybe help prime the engine before starting. It worked. Cut the number of pulls down from 10 or more to less than 5. Still not sure about sending this guy in for a tune up as it has never left me hanging on a trip. Then again with a nice tune up and new auger it might just go another 15 years.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.