Charging your battery

• Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

When you use your flasher you need to charge it afterward to prolong the battery life. But how much time is necessary?

I know that my lx5 has a 9 amp hour battery, I do not know how much draw the lx5 will pull the battery down. Tonight I fished for two hours and so far I have been charging for four hours. When I was finished fishing the meter was still showing 100%. I just pulled the charger off because I don’t want to cook the battery either.

The reason I ask is because I just had to replace the battery, I had the understanding that you could keep the charger hooked up and not worry about it but the guy at Batteries Plus told me otherwise.

Do you think two hours charging for one hours use is enough?

BBKK
    IA

I don’t know what charger your lx5 has, so I cannot answer your question.

But I can suggest you invest in one of these, then you will never have to ask that question again. Just plug it in when you get home from fishing and unplug when you go again. I can’t believe how long I waited until getting one. I love my marcum, but man… marcum chargers SUCK.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

My charger is 750 mA.

The guy at BP showed me a tender that looked exactly like that on but it was priced closer to the MSRP. Go figure…

fisherman-andy

Quote:

When you use your flasher you need to charge it afterward to prolong the battery life. But how much time is necessary?

I know that my lx5 has a 9 amp hour battery, I do not know how much draw the lx5 will pull the battery down. Tonight I fished for two hours and so far I have been charging for four hours. When I was finished fishing the meter was still showing 100%. I just pulled the charger off because I don’t want to cook the battery either.

Are you talking about the Marcum digital battery meter? The DCS 100 battery meters are notorious for going bad. The ones on my LX3tc, LX5 experience similiar behavior. I bet if you plug in the charger the meter will flash showing your the correct precentage of power left maybe.

Icefreak55

Quote:

But I can suggest you invest in one of these, then you will never have to ask that question again. Just plug it in when you get home from fishing and unplug when you go again. I can’t believe how long I waited until getting one. I love my marcum, but man… marcum chargers SUCK.

I second the marcum charger sucking … LX 5

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

My charger is 750 mA.

The guy at BP showed me a tender that looked exactly like that on but it was priced closer to the MSRP. Go figure…

If you don’t have an amazon prime account to get free shipping, you can find them for about the same price on ebay. Just make sure you get 12v and not 6v.

castle-rock-clown

I can’t agree more with Kevin23, Battery Tender Jrs made by Deltran are the best. I have never cooked a battery with them even on vented lead acid motorcycle batteries (notorious for loosing electrolyte). There are knock off of this charger so beware. Motorcycle shops have these all the time, the price difference even at $10.00 is miniscule compared to the frustration of getting all set up on the ice just to have your electronics go dead.

bite me

Can you plug the battery tender in the plug of a lx 7 or do you have to put alligator clips on terminals7??? My charger for my lx 7 doesn’t work correctly I need a new one.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Can you plug the battery tender in the plug of a lx 7 or do you have to put alligator clips on terminals7??? My charger for my lx 7 doesn’t work correctly I need a new one.

If the plugs are not the same it can easily converted..
    But after reading your past posts I get the impression that your charger works…it’s just the light that is not working correctly…

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

The plug is the same BUT DO NOT DO IT! The polarity is reversed. You will need to use the clips.

Your tender jr will come with two wiring harnesses, alligator clips and ring terminals. I suggest you cut off the ring terminals and attach piggy-back spade connectors in their place. The connectors can be found at any hardware/electronics store. Then put those connectors onto your battery and then your marcum power harness spade connectors ontop of those. Then you can simply plug in the charger harness to charge, and unplug to go fishing. I did this- minus the piggy-back spade connectors, I soldered the wires to the connectors of my marcum.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

x1,000,000

For a battery tender. Use them for motorcycles and flashers.

icefish55
    NULL

Kevin: show some pics of your converted connections, please.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Kevin: show some pics of your converted connections, please.

Sure. You won’t be able to see much as I did not want to take off the electrical tape, but I just cut the ring terminals off the harness and soldered it directly to the spade connectors of the marcum power cord.

You end up with this plug that just plugs right into the cord off the tender jr.

This is the end you want to cut off, leave the alligator clips in case you need to charge another battery.

If you do not want to do the solder method, you can use these. Crimp these onto the harness after you cut off the round connectors, then put these on your battery and your marcum power cord connectors on top of these.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Quote:

I did what Kevin suggested doing and went with the Jr.Maintainer. Only thing different I did was I went with piggy back coonectors. The plug and play works sweet and that charger definitely seems to charge quicker. Thanks Kevin

BBKK
    IA

You’re welcome!

Piggy backs are the way to go, unless you are lazy like me.

renegadewalleye

What the difference from the Jr to the regular one besides size.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.