Devils Lake

• scmelik
    South Dakota

I’m hoping I can lean on you guys. My buddies and I are going to Devils Lake in a couple of weeks for 3 days. Most of them are going to focus on perch but I want to put my focus for two of the three days on walleyes. Non of us have ever been there before but we are going to use a guide for this trip. For those of you that have spent some time on the lake during mid february what kinds of structure do the walleyes tend to relate too? Are the perch and eyes still relating to the same areas? I do not want any specific spots just the types of structure to put my focus on or at least start out looking for.

waterice
    Elk Point, SD

I will be there from 02/07 to 02/09. If you are going after that i will let you know how we do. We are just using the ice house provided by Woodland.

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

I will be there from 02/07 to 02/09. If you are going after that i will let you know how we do. We are just using the ice house provided by Woodland.

we are going that next weekend, we are staying at woodlands but not going to use their shacks just run around with our portables.

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

Forreal fun, hire a local guide to take you out for pike.
    Bring your ice cleats–you’ll do a lot of running.

holmsvc
    SE ND

No need for a guide for pike. Just go into any bay and set tipups. The perch are deep, 40ft plus. Creel, Main Bay, 6 mile. Bring plenty of auger gas. Walleyes are a morning and evening deal. You can fish perch everyday from 10 am to 4 pm and spend the first and last few hours on eyes. Look for points and humps on the lake maps, you will find walleyes.

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

No need for a guide for pike. Just go into any bay and set tipups. The perch are deep, 40ft plus. Creel, Main Bay, 6 mile. Bring plenty of auger gas. Walleyes are a morning and evening deal. You can fish perch everyday from 10 am to 4 pm and spend the first and last few hours on eyes. Look for points and humps on the lake maps, you will find walleyes.

thank you this is the type of information I am looking for. I have absolutely zero desire to catch pike at all, I am going to bring my tipups but I highly doubt they will get put out. Holmsvc are the perch generally running in the same basic areas as the walleyes or do they tend to stay in the deeper basins of the lake that time of year?

mh454
    ND

I’m not sure what you have for maps but I would suggest at least having the printed LakeMaster map of Devils Lake (if you don’t already). Another good resource is the web app on Navionics website: http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp Devils Lake must have been updated at some point recently as there were spots that I fished last summer that were land on the map last time I looked at it.

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

I’m not sure what you have for maps but I would suggest at least having the printed LakeMaster map of Devils Lake (if you don’t already). Another good resource is the web app on Navionics website: http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp Devils Lake must have been updated at some point recently as there were spots that I fished last summer that were land on the map last time I looked at it.

I have the navonics ap on my phone that is about it.

holmsvc
    SE ND

Large schools of perch are generally in the basin.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.