Macum durability?

• buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Now that they have been out a few years I am wondering what people’s experience has been with the durability of the LCD Marcum units.

The FW and I have LX-3s and most of our fishing is run and gun with the flashers riding in a portable behind a snowmobile including the long runs to the reefs on Lake of the Woods. We pack them in to prevent them from bouncing around but things in a portable take a beating when traveling 20+ miles one way.

Wondering if anyone has done much of this kind of fishing with an LCD unit.
    How they hold up?
    What if anything to you do to protect cushion them?

PJ is getting old enough now that he wants to have his own unit so..time for daddy to look at getting a new one.

Our LX-3s have been bullet proof and a couple guys I fish with have the LX-5s that have been bullet proof as well.

So….just trying to figure out if an LCD unit is the way to go for my style of fishing or if a flasher is still the best way for durability.

wismitty
    Janesville wisconsin

Saw a guy pass us on Lake Of The Woods going 40 plus miles an hour and it flew off bounce a few times on the ice road, when we stopped to pick it up for the guy it started right up minus a nob. I think there tough…

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I would imagine if the screen is mounted equivalent to any other manufacture, there shouldn’t be an issue. Not that I beat the crap out of my stuff intentionally, it gets used hard. Just running my boat is the first thing that comes to mind. 50 mph skipping across waves has taken a toll on myself. Yet, my locators continue to run just fine. I know a few guys that have their LX-7s mounted on the bow of their boat for summer use. If Marcum didn’t want to warranty them for 2 years, I’m sure they would have a disclaimer for open water use in the boat where most equipment takes a beating. Now that I think of it, I wonder if Lowrance, Hummingbird, or Marcum offers back and knee surgeries??? I would like to be that durable again

gbfan10
    Hastings, mn

Mine has bounced around the back of my sled for 2 years now and still works great.. My fishing buddy, set his Humminbird down on an ice hole a bit hard one day and broke the spinning disk off the motor. I think they may be more durable than a normal mechanical flasher.

Humminbird fixed the flasher free of charge I might add.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Thanks for the replies. I might have to pick up an Lx 6 or 7 at the end of the season this year.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Buckshot

I was having a chat with some of Prairie’s finest recently..

They were asking what them nice guys from the cities have been up to…your welcome down here anytime !!

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

That was a great time…I think I fished about 3 minutes the entire weekend.

Tell them Prairie’s finest to keep up the good work!! Saved Gator, Pusscakes and I from a long cold walk back to the motel.

Ekez

I’ve had my lx-6 now for two seasons and it hasn’t broke (knock on wood). They seem pretty durable to me. Only thing I can see breaking would be the battery leeds (spelling?), other than that it’s a great piece of equipment.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

That was a great time…I think I fished about 3 minutes the entire weekend.

Tell them Prairie’s finest to keep up the good work!! Saved Gator, Pusscakes and I from a long cold walk back to the motel.

Great Memories !!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.