May have to start packing the safety glasses.

• go-fish
    Mn.se metro

Was up at l.o.t.w.s.(sleeper shack) last weekend,at 12;15 a.m. my rattle wheel went off,figured it was a pout,got it 6 inches thru ice & realized it was a nice walleye,at that moment the jig let go,& smacked me square in the eyeball!
    lucky it was just the lead,ended up with a nice red hermorage around right eyeball,I did manage to dive down shoulder deep & brought up a nice 26″ walleye in the tighty whities,we had a good laugh,& managed to snap a few pics & back down the hole she went.
    (won’t post the pics don’t want to scare anyone.)
    Fishing was steady til the cold front kicked in,lots of small fish kept us interested.couldn’t of asked for a better bunch of guy’s to fish with.great times had by all.

wally1992
    Evansville MN

Good story, that would make a hilarious sight, tighty whitey’s. a little beer belly and a pair of safety glasses!
    Only in a fishhouse!

big_g
    Isle, MN

thanks for the laugh

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Scary. Two weeks ago dad had a walleye come unbuttoned as I pulled it out if the hole. Swedish Pimple smacked me in the middle of the fore head.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’m glad these are all happy endings and we can laugh about it. I’ve seen hooks through eyes on the web. Yikes!

Every time I land a fish boat side I am always paranoid the fish is going to come unbuttoned and the hooks are going to catch me. Now I have to be paranoid while ice fishing.

On a side note, if you fish with me and I am using a Texas Rigged worm, be ready for my “Duck” shout. I’ve had those bullet sinkers get me a couple times.

tswoboda

Quote:

I’m glad these are all happy endings and we can laugh about it. I’ve seen hooks through eyes on the web. Yikes!

Every time I land a fish boat side I am always paranoid the fish is going to come unbuttoned and the hooks are going to catch me. Now I have to be paranoid while ice fishing.

On a side note, if you fish with me and I am using a Texas Rigged worm, be ready for my “Duck” shout. I’ve had those bullet sinkers get me a couple times.

If you’re landing a fish by hand, open water out ice, grab the line with one hand and the fish with the other.

This takes the bend out of the rod and avoids the sling shot effect.

TLH713
    NULL

When I was a younger man I used to fish the Mississippi right below the dam at St. Cloud State. Watched 2 young brothers show up with one rod and take turns casting a daredevil into the water. One got a little to close to the other and took the daredevil to the cheek on the forward motion of the cast. The hook got set pretty well as one of the trebles was all the way through. My grandpa cut the hook to get it out, gave them a ride home and told their parents to take him to the Dr. for a tetanus shot. It was like it was something he had seen 1000 times before. I can’t imagine if this happened in this day and age, there would be 2 fire trucks, a cop, an ambulance and a few lawyers involved…. I miss the “good ‘ol days”.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

If someone grabs the line on my fish they are going to get an earful. I’ve seen too many fish lost by grabbing the line and taking away the give. Just my 2 cents.

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

knock on wood I have never been hit by any lure or hook in the winter yet but two summers ago I was out catfishing one night and I got snagged so I started to pull on my line(80 LBS Braid) and it broke free and the next thing I know is I just got hit by my 3 oz flat bank lead sinker. luckily I got hit in the cheek but it was still a shock knowing that could of hit my eye. the hook did end up getting hooked in the shoulder of my coat. let’s just say I was lucky that night.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.