Choosing where to fish

• zachabbott
    NULL

Say you guys want to fish in a general area, how do you decide where to put you portable. Do you drill a couple holes first to see if you mark any? Or do you just set up your portable? Just wondering what other guys do? Thanks

Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

I try not to set up my shack until I find a bite or its too cold to sit on a bucket. I find it hard to stay mobile when in a shack, comfort becomes an anchor.

I usually pull onto an area and drill a dozen holes. I fish each hole until I find a bite or mark fish. If the bite stays I will shack up.

john_steinhauer
    p4

I do both, I try to mark fish first and if possible see if they are willing to bite.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

I only set up a shack if weather or the fishing style requires it. Most times I fish I don’t even bring it. I like to be mobile and have the least amount of gear possible. Besides, my drive for ice fishing is to be outdoors… but I guess that doesn’t get at your question.

If I’m going to use the shack, I try to fish a bunch of holes first and get a feel for which spot is my best bet, then I set it up. If that spot sucks, break down and move. Repeat as necessary.

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

Say you guys want to fish in a general area, how do you decide where to put you portable. Do you drill a couple holes first to see if you mark any? Or do you just set up your portable? Just wondering what other guys do? Thanks

If I am getting out before sunup I will generally try and put myself in an area this is historically been good for me. I will drill a couple of holes, drop a minnow down underneath a bobber and then jig the other hole for awhile. Once the sun comes up its time to burn some gas and find fish. Then I will only set the shack up if its lunch time or if I need to warm up.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I bring the one man along regarless of the weather. I’ll fish outside it as much as possible. If it starts getting cold, then I’ll use it.

But having the one man sucks when the person closest to you that will go fishing doesn’t have a portable of his own.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

It completely depends when you are fishing.

During the day no matter what species I generally move until I find fish. That might mean 10 holes or it might take 100 to find fish but I don’t see the point in waiting for fish to come to me during the day.

Now if you are fishing in the low light time periods you can get away with sitting in one spot. Fish are spread out searching for food during this time so sitting on a break or near structure is usually a better option.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I find fish, then setup, and usually hole hop as well if not much is happening in the house.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.