Marcum VX1 problem-help!

• Jake_A

I got out onto the ice today and turned on my flasher and it seems to be reading double/triple. I charged the battery up full last night. What I mean by “double” is the red bar that usually is at 0ft is showing up at 2ft and 6 ft. Also showing my jig twice (no sinker on line.) any help or has anyone else ever had this problem? Never had problems with it in the past. Thanks!

tulp0165
    NULL

my grandfather said he bought one last year and had the same problem tried to bring it in to get fixed and they said thetre was nothing they could do. I am definatly a Marcum fan and tried to switch him over to Marcum as I did the rest of my family. they all love em but my grandfather hates them now. he will def be buying a new vexilar.

BBKK
    IA

No offense, but that sounds like BS.. marcum would never say there is nothing they can do.

Jon Marshall
    NULL

We build the VX-1 from start to finish at our New Hope MN facility. In the rare event something goes wrong, there’s essentially nothing we can’t fix. (on current models and most legacy systems.) I can only assume there was a misunderstanding? I would encourage both of you to connect with our customer care center [email protected] or 888-778-1208 between 8-4 Mon-Fri

big_g
    Isle, MN

*BOOM* Way to go Jon and Marcum

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Unfortunately no matter how well you took care of your battery over the summer, when you turn your flasher on for the first time for the winter and you’re seeing a problem that wasn’t there the last time you fished it in the spring…. chances are the battery went kaput for one reason or another.

It stinks. It shouldn’t work that way. We feel for ya’ because most of us have been in your shoes at one time or another.

Flashers from all brands are inherently reliable by nature. Truth be told I’d bet 95% of all flasher issues are in one way or another related to the condition of the battery and have nothing to do with the internal components. Again, this goes for all brands of electronics.

None of the flasher manufacturers make their own batteries despite the presence of branding on the side. We’re all fishing with 12V. batteries that come from a very, very small pool of manufacturers that are all in a price war race to make them as economically as possible. Electronics manufacturers don’t have “good, better, best” options when it comes to buying batteries in quantity.

When cared for properly and used periodically through the year the vast majority of batteries seem to hold up fairly well. When compared to the build quality of the ice electronics we opt to fish with unfortunately the weak link often comes down to the power supply.

So…. long story short…. a spare 12v battery = peace of mind. When your fave flasher starts acting wonky the first course of action should be to test it with a different power supply. As I said earlier, 95% of the time that will get you back up and running good as new. The remaining 5% of the time is why good customer service is so important. From what I know about the ice electronics industry both the major brands have a reputation for very good customer service.

Paul Delaney

I also can contest that any issue I have ever had which has not been many all were due to a falty battery or not fully charged battery. I do carry an extra battery just for that reason but always keep them charged in a warm environment every night. I hope this info will help eliminate any future issues you may have but if problems occur outside of battery issues please contact Marcum and they will for sure address your issue. Good luck fishing.

Paul Delaney
    http://www.lateeyessportfishing.com

Marcum12

Great post Jon! You guys have some of the best CS out there. That is one of the reasons I keep raving about your products to my fishing buddies or anyone that asks.

fygr8

My experiences with Marcum customer service has been second to none.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.