Good ice fishing reels

• taz
    Frederic wi

Hi I just picked up to 32″ TUC rods and am looking to put new reels on them. I want small compact reels that can Handel the biggest of eyes as I have a trip planed to lake winnipeg in march. Also must stay workable in the cold temps.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Shimano Sedona 500FD

nathan_schott
    Cheboygan MI

if your looking for a spinning reel i would recommend the pfleuger trion ultralight works great and is smooth even in the cold. as for inline reels i would like to hear what the guys have to say

nathan_schott
    Cheboygan MI

i love shimano’s in the summer but in the winter they get super rough. i have three shimanos on ice rods right now 2 siennas and one sedona. they are decent but nothing compared to the pflueger. that being said im not fishing in a shack. i love the drag on the shimanos way better. but when i get a big fish a back reel anyway. just one mans opinion

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

You will not go wrong with the Shimano Sedona or Symetre 500

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Ticas are really nice

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Shimano Sedona 500FD

YESS!!! Just wish mine would get here soon…. Love the 1000 and 2500 so I’m sure the 500 will be amazing

winterbite

Just bought the TUCR 32″ QT at the show. Adam paired it up with the Shimano Sedona 500FD, Felt really good on the rod and smooth. I don’t think you can go wrong.
    PS – I fish in a house a majority of the time thou.

taz
    Frederic wi

Thanks for the input guys keep them coming

dld24

Another vote for the sedona 500fd…I use mine out in the elements and it is awesome…I’ve caught 2 10lb pike with it on my precision this year on 4lb test and they both performed awesome…

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Shimano sedona 1000’s for this guy!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

What ever reel you get, pick up some Quantum Hot Sause oil. It is the real deal for keeping your reels smooth as silk even at -20

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

What ever reel you get, pick up some Quantum Hot Sause oil. It is the real deal for keeping your reels smooth as silk even at -20

I heard that hotsauce will eat away the plastic parts inside the reel slowly, does anyone find this to be true or just bad rumors. I got a 1000 symetre new that doesn’t want to run smooth I need to lube up quick here for the cold.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

X2 I now use it on ALL my reels winter or summer

BBKK
    IA

Another vote for hotsauce! Only and I mean ONLY downside is the red dye. Its some GOOOOOD stuff

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Hot sauce is a ok reel lubricant! I used it 6-7 years ago. I was turned onto this stuff this last winter by a military marksman. It’s simply on another planet from hot sauce. Pricey but unmatched from any other lubricant I’ve used in reels.

http://crusaderweaponry.com/shop

nathan_schott
    Cheboygan MI

those babies look sweet how did you come across them

tswoboda

500 size reel for Lake Winnipeg? Not a good idea. Get the most expensive shimano 1000 or Pfleuger 25 you feel like paying for. Sedona and President are both great values.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

TUCR also carries a lot of great reels to pair with their rods, most common are shimano in 500 size.

Best reel for lake winnipeg is any reel with a good drag. I prefer a Shimano Stradic CI4 in 1000 series or even 2500 series for Winterpeg, they double as great reels in the summer also lightweight, with exceptional drags.

My TUCR Quicktip will have the CI4 until Winnipeg, then switching over to a new rod from TUCR designed just for big walleyes. More details to come about that rod.

Mnfisher2015
    Milaca, MN

I love my Abu Garcia cardinals!! Have them on 3 of my rods and there super smooth and have a great drag so I recommend it!

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

The only two reels I use on the ice are Pfluegers and Shimano’s. The Pflueger Trion is a great bang for your buck reel with a good drag and an extra spool. I use a lot of Shimano Sienna’s in the 500 and 1000 class, as well as the Sedona’s. You can’t go wrong with any of those!

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

I’m running a few tica reels great perch and pan fis reel have a handful of the newer sedona 500s love them but for a few more $ the Sahara 500 is smooth as silk shop around deals to be had Shimano has a great drag system

jld
    Holmen

I put a Sahara on Noodle, probably overkill but I fish 90% of the time for perch, sunnies and crappies and I have not even picked up another set up in my rod bag.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

The only two reels I use on the ice are Pfluegers and Shimano’s. The Pflueger Trion is a great bang for your buck reel with a good drag and an extra spool. I use a lot of Shimano Sienna’s in the 500 and 1000 class, as well as the Sedona’s. You can’t go wrong with any of those!

Cabelas is having a five hour doorbuster sale starting at 8:00 AM Saturday and the Trion is on sale for $19.99. Pretty good!!

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Cabelas is having a five hour doorbuster sale starting at 8:00 AM Saturday and the Trion is on sale for $19.99. Pretty good!!

That is definitely a good deal! Thanks for sharing. That’s a heck of a reel and drag for $20! Not to mention the extra spool – I wish more reels would come with a 2nd spool.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.