New gear and duluth area lakes

• mike_anderson
    Alborn,Minnesota

Last year I bought a pop up ice house. Its nice, but I cant sit still lobg enough to be in an ice house, so this year I spent some money and bought a nice otter sled, an ION auger, and upgrade to a marcum LX-7. Now when I go fishing near home an any duluth area lake, I can set up the pop up for my FW and nearly 6 year old daughter to stay warm in, and still make swiss cheese out of the ice looking for the fish whether it is off points or break edges or weed lines. My daughter is just like me and cant sit still, so she usually doesnt last long in the ice house either, but as long as she is outside she is happy, so it works out great for me when it comes to ice fishing. Well, enough said, i stopped and checked 5 of my favorite lakes near home on the way home tonight and all had some slush but not enough to keep me off the lakes. There is a good 7-10 inches of good ice on the parts of the lakes I checked and they are fishable for sure after the big snowstorm last week. Im looking forward to getting out on the ice this weekend with the freezing temps we have had. The cold front will shut the fish down but when you have one going as long as we have, the fish will eat after they adjust.
    Good luck men and be safe on the ice this winter.
    Mike

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Great points. I get bored in a hub or permie if the fish are not banging. At least in a flip over you can keep moving and give it your best effort.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Nice report Mike, let me know how you do this weekend.

dld24

I like to set my hub up and use it kind of like a warming house (unless the fish are under it all day obviously). Then just run around with my sled and chase the fish… Next week I plan on hitting Duluth Lakes and the Bay…Can’t wait

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.