Strikemaster gets stuck in the hole

• BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

Hey guys,

I tried out my Laser Mag yesterday for the first time. I noticed it drills just fine BUT getting it out of the hole is another story. Every time it gets stuck where I have to yank and yank until it finally comes out. Any ideas what would cause this?

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Try taking your blades off and then put them on again. Im guessing one is out of line as i have had this happen to me before.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Follow the link below and go down to James Holst’s second post. I believe your pitch may be off. You can bring it in to a authorized StrikeMaster service center to have the pitch checked. You can try Grant’s suggestion first as it would be the easiest to start with.

IDO Auger Post

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

You are probably getting hung up on the bottom of the hole, what happens is it doesn’t make a complete hole if you bust through too fast. What I do is once you get close to the bottom kind of ease up on the throttle and let the auger cut a little slower so it opens the hole completely.

It’s kind of a feel thing and takes just a little bit to get used to. Don’t push down on the auger when it close to busting through, your probably used to doing that with your old auger, let it do the work when you close to the bottom.

Crickschop04

If I understand your question correctly, you aren’t having trouble breaking thru, just getting it out.

Are you keeping the auger turning? Just hit the throttle a couple of times on the way out.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

The auger will break through just fine but it only clears out enough of the bottom of the hole for the blades to slip through, then the auger corkscrews down catching on the ice that is not cleared out.

This makes it very difficult to get it back up out of the hole. As I said ease it through the last inch or two of ice so that it clears out the bottom completely.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

It’s kind of a feel thing and takes just a little bit to get used to. Don’t push down on the auger when it close to busting through, your probably used to doing that with your old auger, let it do the work when you close to the bottom.

I have followed this rule of thumb as well and have not had a problem..
    It mostly happened to me when I had perfect crystal clear ice..

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

Quote:

The auger will break through just fine but it only clears out enough of the bottom of the hole for the blades to slip through, then the auger corkscrews down catching on the ice that is not cleared out.

This makes it very difficult to get it back up out of the hole. As I said ease it through the last inch or two of ice so that it clears out the bottom completely.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Operator error on my part. Is it more of a problem with these augers compared to a say a Jiffy with the chipper blades?

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Quote:

I think you hit the nail on the head. Operator error on my part. Is it more of a problem with these augers compared to a say a Jiffy with the chipper blades?

Chipper blades are much more forgiving when this happens, the lazer blades seem to spin right down through that partially open hole and then your stuck. I struggled with this for a while until I figured it out.

You will get the hang of it real quick.

fygr8

I was running a Solo 2.5 with the 8″ 224 auger. Cut like a demon!!! I decided to go to a 7″, so I ordered a new one from Strikemaster. It does exactly what you are describing and if you are not prepared it will pull you right down the hole. I have gotten used to it, but feel something can be done to fix the issue. I will try the suggestions posted here and see if it cures it.

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

Thanks for all the help

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.