LX-9 issue or operator error?

• fygr8

I was trying my LX-9 again today and I have to have the sensitivity cranked all the way to see my jig/waxie in 18′ of water. What am I doing wrong? My VX-1 Pro will pick it up with sensitivity set at 1 1/2.
    When I tried the camera I have a line across the screen about an inch down from the top. Anyone seen this? So far my lesser model has been more impressive.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Are you sure the battery has a good charge ? Maybe swap batteries with the vx-1.

fygr8

Fully charged and reads 12.7 on the screen.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I was trying my LX-9 again today and I have to have the sensitivity cranked all the way to see my jig/waxie in 18′ of water. What am I doing wrong? My VX-1 Pro will pick it up with sensitivity set at 1 1/2.

When I tried the camera I have a line across the screen about an inch down from the top. Anyone seen this? So far my lesser model has been more impressive.

I’m not sure about the camera so let’s start with the sonar.

The digital series flashers use a different gain curve than the LX series mechanical flashers so your setting numbers will be different. Don’t try and compare the settings you used on a VX1 to your LX9. They’re not comparable. I’m sure you’ve noticed that the useable gain curve on the mechanical flasher is 1.5 – 4. Outside of that narrow range and you either can’t see the bait at all or you’re running far too much gain. One of the goals with the digital series flashers was to allow more fine tune adjustments making use of more of the gain curve. You can trust that the LX9 is far more sensitive than the VX1.

Two questions?

One – What software version is the unit running?

Two – What color palette are you running?

Most people start out using the standard Red-Green-Yellow palette which works well for larger lures or in shallow water. This is noteworthy because the standard palette is 50% less sensitive than the 6 color R-O-Y-G-B-I-V palette.

Any time you’re using tiny jigs in deeper water the ROYGBIV palette is the way to go. I would expect your gain setting to be somewhere in the range of 7 – 9 out of 25 and you’ll have no issues marking even the tiniest jig. If you have your heart set on using the standard 3 color palette you’ll have to run your gain somewhere in the 18 – 22 range… which is to be expected when you’re giving up 50% of your sensitivity. Both palettes will work you’ll just need to adjust your sensitivity numbers respective of the palette used to get to the same place.

Personally I rarely use the standard palette any more after seeing how the added sensitivity of the 6 color palette allows me to dial in my sensitivity to a degree that isn’t possible with the 3 color.

Now, as for the camera, without seeing it I really don’t have much to offer. You shouldn’t have a line running an inch down on the screen. If you’re not seeing this in the sonar display I’d assume you have an issue with the camera. Is that line visible across the entire screen when in the split screen camera/sonar mode? About the only thing I have to offer is to unplug / plug back in the camera and see if that fixes the issue. If not, give MarCum CS a call. They’ll fix you up.

Hope this helps.

fygr8

I was running the 3 color and I assume the most current updates were done when I sent it in late last spring. I will try the settings you have suggested tomorrow to see if that takes care of my issue. Hopefully it is an operator error! I will also try the camera again tomorrow along with some recordings to see if it shows up there. Thanks for the suggestions!

fygr8

Thank you James for the tips. There needs to be some good tutorials since the unit does not even come with an owners manual. I am not real keen on just pushing buttons without knowing what should be taking place. Hopefully you read this and answer another question.
    Is there a way to shut off the transducer while in camera mode without unplugging it?
    P.S. I check all of my connections and eliminated the line across the screen while in camera mode.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Watch the IceForce videos. Press the buttons play around with it. If you get it all out of whack you can go into system settings and enter restore factory settings and start at square one. If you get it where you really like it, go to system settings and enter save. That way if you change it and don’t like it you can go back to where you where happy. These are great systems that will let you fine tune your unit to what you like, don’t let it not get used to it’s potential. Good luck and TIGHT LINES.

zab.jr
    Winona, Mn

Also to if you ever have any big qustion to you always have the best customer service period is the Marcum guys.
    My camera was acting funny was not reading the depth, water temp or direction. Called th marcum guys and they replaced it for me.
    As far as the setings its pretty much go out and play wih it pretty much. Or just post up on here and I’m sure James or another member on here will help out.
    I have the Lx-9 as well and have not looked back.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.