Poll: When do you bring out the power auger?

• BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

Just curious when do you bring out the power auger? I might try out my Lazer Mag today just because I just bought it and want to see how it is.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Whenever I get it back from my “buddy”…if ever.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Your “buddy” is only looking out for you, he doesn’t want you out on this early/unsafe ice. It also wasn’t running quite right at the end of last season, think you could get that fixed?

shaley
    Milford IA

If I’m on ice I use the power auger, to lazy to take the but off the motor and put the handle on…

hamms
    Mn

I use it right away, mainly cause I have never had a great hand auger. Might change this year with the Nils.

wallster
    Austin, MN

I bought it to use it. Use it right away when I can get on the ice. I don’t own a hand auger.
    Wallster ><((((>

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

only time is use the hand auger is during the winter bwca trips. Bought the nice strikemaster, may as well put it to use.

lhprop1
    Eagan

On first ice, I usually just use a spud bar. After it gets too thick for that (3″ or so), I use the Jiffy. The hand auger is only there as a back up.

bee
    Maine

Since I have a super lite setup all the time.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

On first ice, I usually just use a spud bar. After it gets too thick for that (3″ or so), I use the Jiffy. The hand auger is only there as a back up.

X2

If your spud is good and sharp even 6″ is easy….

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I bought it to use it. Use it right away when I can get on the ice. I don’t own a hand auger.
    Wallster ><((((>

I start the season with the Honda and a 7″ bit. My hand augers are reserved for places that don’t allow them like the BWCA and other restricted lakes.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Whenever I get it back from my “buddy”…if ever.

I left it sitting out by the road about 2 weeks ago, didn’t you to pick it up

NoFish

Depends where I’m going. If I can drive or know that I will be relatively close to my access point then its the Pro 4 all the way. On the flip side, I do a fair bit of walking. If I’m going more than a half mile and I’m alone (fairly often) then I will use the hand auger regardless of ice thickness. All the power auger does is slow me down at that point.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You have it? I thought my buddy had it!??

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

You have it? I thought my buddy had it!??

HAD

I thought you picked it up off the side of the road the other day……um…..did I forget to tell you it was out there to be picked up
    uh oh

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

I’m usually hand drilling until the ice is 10″ – 12″ and then I switch over to power. Both are Nils, manual is 6″ and power is 8″.

hamms
    Mn

Quote:

I start the season with the Honda and a 7″ bit. My hand augers are reserved for places that don’t allow them like the BWCA and other restricted lakes.

Any reason for the 7″bit? Is that your year round or do you switch to the 8?

Justin Phillips
    Bloomer, WI

i honestly use my hand auger most or all year. but i tend to hole hop and travel long distances to my spots so lugging a power auger around isnt worth it.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Any reason for the 7″bit? Is that your year round or do you switch to the 8?

Well, the smaller diameter augers weigh less and cut faster. So that’s the practical reasoning behind the switch to the smaller diameter auger.

Some of that confidence in switching to the smaller auger comes from seeing a number of 13# to almost 15# walleye caught up on Lake Winnipeg… all of which easily slid through an 8″ hole. When I’m fishing here in MN for perch, walleye and panfish I know I’m not going to run into a fish that won’t easily come through the 7″ hole. For example, I watched Dave Koonce pull an “on the tape” 15+ inch crappie through a 5″ hole. I honestly don’t believe there’s a walleye to be caught on lakes like Mille Lacs, Leech, etc. that won’t come through a 7″ hole. So I guess I’m just trying to be realistic about the size of the hole needed. Trust me, a 7″ bit cuts with noticeably less effort than a 8″. When you’re punching dozens upon dozens of holes every time you start the auger… the effort and time spent at each hole adds up.

When I go to Lake Winnipeg or other bodies of water where there’s a shot at a massive walleye or pike I do up size to the 8″ auger. In talking with the guides that fish the BWCA for trophy pike and land 25+ lb. fish very winter they use an 8″ auger and tell me they’ve never had any issues landing even the largest specimens. Around here I’ve been running a 7″ and I’m considering adding a 6″ for times I fish perch, crappie and gills.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.