How will you become a better angler this winter?

• Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

How will you become a better angler this winter? New tactic, new gear, making more time to fish. I fish a lot 3-5 days a week and being in South Dakota; jumbo perch are my main quarry. This winter however I want to put some more time into the overlooked sunfish and crappies as well as some of the lunker pike Sodak has to offer. My bread and butter presentation out here is a jigging spoon with a minnow head or a wad of maggots on the business end. This winter I would like to become more proficient with small plastics, as I think it will put more big sunfish and crappies on the end of my line while at the same time keeping my hands warm without constantly rebaiting. I am asking the rest of IDO how you will become a better angler this winter. Step out of your comfort zone this winter to find a new bite or try a new tactic. I am going to focus on using the mustache worm and the other small plastics from trigger X to get on some big bluegill bites all winter long. The next thing I want to do is catch some big pike I catch a few while jigging perch but never really target them. Fellow staffer Will Roseburg has a good pattern for big predators using VMC sure-set hooks and I think I am going steal a page out of his book this winter to get on some big pike. What excites me about his is pike seem to bite all day and I can probably squeeze this in midday between perch and walleye runs. Little motivation to all of you to try something new this winter for some new results, I am hoping it pans out for me. – QB

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Excellent post Quintin… My goals this year are to gain confidence using new baits and expand my options by continuing to find new areas to fish. Just like you my “go to” bait is a spoon tipped with a minnow head or larva but I really want to spend some time this winter trying to ween myself off of the reliance on fishing with “meat”. For walleyes and pike I’m going to spend more time fishing baits that I think can trigger bites even without a minnow head… Spending time up on Winnipeg hammering big walleyes on Rippin’ Raps really opened my eyes to how effective these lures can be without tipping them a bit. I’m also planning to go back to an old favorite bait that I’ve somewhat forgetten about the past few years and re-introduce myself to the original jigging rap. On the panfish side I’m also looking at trying to get away from relying on larva by using more plastics like the mustache worm

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quintin – Good luck with new tactics and targets thru the ice this winter.
    Looking forward to seeing how that pans out for you.

Last year, I didn’t get out at all so for me, I’m just planning on doing a little more ice fishing period.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

My goal is to cover more of the lake. I picked up a snow machine and I plan on using it.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

This year I am going to work on executing a plan and being successful for specific species. Specifically Perch and Crappie. If I am feeling really froggy I might put a lot of effort into getting some eyes. I did buy some plastics and some flies for this season so no meat will be an option however, there will be spikes in the pocket!

castle-rock-clown

I’ve got the gear, but I believe nothing replaces time on the ice. I have structured my finances and time available so as to get much more time on the ice. Hopefully that will translate into more success.

tswoboda

Quote:

expand my options by continuing to find new areas to fish.

THIS

I get caught in a rut too often, going to the same handful of lakes simply because I know they will produce. I have way too many options to be limiting myself like that so this year I want to add at least 3-5 lakes to my A list.

The negative is there will be some striking out, no doubt, but the rewards can be great when you do find that hidden gem.

jld
    Holmen

Having upgraded to a smart phone finally I have added the Navonics apps so I want to become more efficient in using and understanding this technology to help me put more fish on the ice.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Big swing from last year. Last year I didn’t have too much trouble getting a meal or limiting out on decent crappies. This year targeting gills, perch and eyes and not the small ones. Changed some tackle and spent time in the boat checking out different structure. Hopefully hitting areas others won’t and haven’t. I have been fortunate the last few years getting help from some friends, hopefully I can pay back.

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Great responses, I am currently sitting here trying to also figure out how I can appply crappie patterns from a few given lakes to a few other lakes in the area that have similar structure. These lakes have fewer crappies but some prehistoric toads. – QB

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Hide in the sled of James’ Otter…

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Plan for me is to get to some more lakes on “My Bucket List”
    Being from where I’m at ice fishing is usually a road trip for any quality fishing. And Webster,SD is one place on that list!! And many places in between !!

logan newberg
    wisconsin

This year im going to try to fish spots that nobody has fished and be the first to hit the bite first. I also want to start target the bigger bluegills and crappies, and the most important thing is to get someone new in to the sport and teach them what i know so they can be successful .

logan newberg
    wisconsin

This year im going to try to fish spots that nobody has fished and be the first to hit the bite first. I also want to start target the trophy bluegills and crappies, and the most important thing is to get someone new in to the sport and teach them what i know so they can be successful .

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

My brother-in-law & I both got much more consistent this summer finding bigger gills. We did experience a few crappies, but not on a regular basis. I want to be able to find and catch crappies as well, and with that, I have talked about switching up presentations to see if I can get more fish to bite without having to move. Quintin, you will have to remind us in the Spring to see if we accomplished any of these goals. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone at IDO!

jfs62
    Southeast WI

Certainly the most obvious would be more time on the ice. But equally important I think is keeping an open mind and doing as much reading/research as possible. Sites like this offer a wealth of information if you just allow yourself to be open to new ideas.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

Trying new areas, and learning to read lake maps better so I can find where the big fish are, faster!

tight-lines

I plan to take my kids fishing more. I spent a lot of time in the boat wit all 3 (ages 2-8) and it was a blast. I don’t have a hard side so only the 5 and 8 can get out. Need to find lots of patience and remember, its not all about catching fish for them . I was always the kid that had to stay home when my dad went on trips.

Bryan Myers

Great post and question QB! For me I would have to say that I want to spend more time fishing for walleyes. When I do fish walleyes I fish them the same way in the same spots, so I also plan on fishing new water and try new techniques.

dld24

I want to drill more holes and find more fish out in the elements and leave the hub at home…I also want to find small hard to get to waters and try them out rather than known honey holes… It feels awesome to go on the lakefinder site and look up the survey data then go out and find the fish and you end up catching new personal bests… rewarding

RealDeal
    MN

Spend more time on the ice. I’ve got all the gear I need, and have plenty of new stuff from last year to try out still. More time. That’s it.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Spend more time on the ice. I’ve got all the gear I need, and have plenty of new stuff from last year to try out still. More time. That’s it.

I think this is the key for so many people, including myself. Even when the bite is tough, there’s no better way to hone skills than to just get out there and do it. Find an excuse to do other things later, fish when I can as often as I can!

Joel

scmelik
    South Dakota

This year my focus is going to be on walleyes and staying with it. In the past I have always given up on catching walleyes when things started getting tough and fell back to my old standby of perch fishing. This year I geared myself more towards catching walleyes and not just walleyes but bigger walleyes. My plan is to punch more holes and find aggressive fish, but even more so I will be putting almost all of my focus onto one lake, to learn it and get it figured out rather than following the “hot bite” reports.

ps0345

More time on the ice for me too, also I intend to use the forums more to learn from others. I’d also like to use my camera as more of tool instead of a novelty. Use it to find structure and take note on how fish react to my jigging etc.

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

I own a camera but like you said it doesnt get used as much as it should. I use it for some very specific spots some of the underwater treelines have small areas that have a few branches that stick out that will hold fish year to year. Using it to find places like this has been a huge success – QB

acafisherman19

Fish more, fish more, fish more, and fish more.

logan newberg
    wisconsin

that is the best way I know to become a better ice angler

trekr200
    Red Wing, MN

I think fishing more will make me a better angler.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’m thinking making nearby lake my home lake I can hopefully figure out the fish at least in one body of water.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

By getting out! I’ve ice fished one time in the last seven years. I got a new portable and got my HB 597 set up for ice fishing.
    I’m anxious to visit some old “hot spots” and see if they still produce.
    Mostly I want to put together a plan before I go out, study a map, what depths I want to pop holes,etc…If it produces it should be very satisfying.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.