Hub Style House…

• fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I have always been a run and gun type of guy when ice fishing pulling my flip over with a 4-wheeler. I have adopted this style of fishing from being on Mille Lacs for so many years where the majority of my ice time takes place. Many times when I visit other lakes such as URL or LOW; the run and gun style really is not always necessary. A person can plant down in an area making short moves and have decent action throughout the day. This is not always the case, but seems to be the majority of the time.

So, with the upcoming season and my first ice trip will be to URL, I am considering the purchase of a hub style house. The thought of sitting in a comfy lawn chair or standing to stretch my legs is appealing to me. Having room for two guys fishing four holes without the worry of sticking a rod tip into the Mr. heater by accident, tipping over a beverage or getting an elbow in the ribs by my partner also sounds nice.

For you guys who regularly use hub style houses; what are your likes and dislikes about them? Clam versus Eskimo? Are windy days a problem? I see the Eskimo has anchors of some type that are basically a lag bolt with a handle. With or without the insulated material? How easy is it to get the house back into the bag?

I am leaning towards the Eskimo 949I. The outfit in Grand Rapids, MN has a competitive price that includes freight.

Let me know the good, bad and ugly.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I have both a flip over and a 6×8 hub i bought from Cabelas made by Clam.

I bought the hub for the same reasons as you mentioned and they cover all that your looking for.

Easy to set up/break down. Folds back up in it’s bag.
    The anchors are a must on windy days. Just drill the first one upwind facing the corner into the wind, repeat then on the other 3 corners.

On really windy days, (make sure you buy 4 extra anchors) anchor down the tie downs that should come with the hub then your sides won’t collapse in.

Not a quick set up or break down to keep moving frquently like a flip over is but they definetly have their place.

Enough room to set up a Coleman campstove too!

Good luck on your search

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

If your constantly moving, No. If your only moving 2-4 times in a full day not a problem. As stated plenty of anchors for windy days and make sure you have the attachment for your electric drill, anchors by hand would suck. The extra room is a major plus. I have the command post by clam, 6X12 on the inside. Me and my buddy fish 6 holes and each hole is 5 feet apart from each other. Less chance of tangling.

As far as the eskimos have not read to many good reports. 300 denier and reports that the stitching is very poor. I have been looking at just a single hub when by myself and am leaning very hard toward the clam.

I am curious why Otter has not gotten into this part of the market. Not every one out there can afford the flips and the lighter weight is a plus.

I have a two man flip and have to say I like the popup better while fishing. Moving takes about 5-10 min. longer than the flip. JMO

broman

I have also though about having a popup as a second house. But the though of having to put it up and stake it down, then take it down in windy weather has always deterred me. However, if you do get one, then definitely get an insulated one. A buddy of mine has a Frabill popup (insulated) and it’s pretty nice. It’s the double version. They set up cots and zero gravity chairs and sleep overnight. They also bring along plywood and make a floor.

jrrendler
    Mantorville, MN

I have the Clam XL4000T and love it enough that I sold off the flip over. I really like the fact that I can stand when I want to and plenty of elbow room. We don’t run and gun but I have no problem folding it up and move quickly. I just push in on the sides, fold it up, lay it in the sled and off we go….it’s as easy as folding down an umbrella in my opinion. I understand where some think that pulling anchors in and out of the ice would take some time but more often than not I don’t use any stakes….push a little snow around the edges and you may not need anchors. We have also moved by standing inside and just one of us pushes up on the top and walks it to the next spot if we aren’t going far. That may look funny on the ice but it works for us.

I would also add that our clam fits very easily back into the carry case which is a real bonus.

Chad Dee

Flip a coing between the two. As of last year….. Eskimos were still having some issues with the hubs/supports breaking, Clam with their zipper tabs. Clam had some nice mesh compartments, Eskimo better windows and placement. Clam anchors completely suck and don’t fall for that tool attachment either, Eskimos are perhaps the best stock option out there, but something like an Ice Angel should be considered. Good luck getting the eskimo back in the bag….ever….JK…but they need a way bigger bag. Clams bags are bigger, but when its at the end of a cold long day and snow is sticking to the ground flap, personally just bungee it up and worry about it later. Probably would send the extra jing on the insulated no matter the brand you choose. The hub is a no brainer for me as I have a kid and love the extra space. They are limiting in how much you will care to move though, and while you can set a hub up on really cold and windy it is a pain and probably won’t do it as often.

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

This is my opinion. Get the eskimo quick fish 6 or the clam equivelant. With hub houses i suggest always staking the hubs to the ice even if it is windy or not because sometimes it is not windy and then becomes windy and then it is to late. If you do that you should not have any problems. I have the quick fish 6 and all my friend make me bring it all the time. So much room it is great. But if you don’t stake the hubs can become a pain. this also doubles as a great 4 season tent for mountain camping.

prospector
    Wyoming

No question in my mind. 949I. Good quality and good company!

Tombat74

I’ve fished out of the eskimo 949 and while it seemed to me to be good I didn’t like how tight the door was to get in and out. I recently stood in a JM5000 thermal from Clam. It has a huge door and is full thermal. The other things I liked were the strategically placed pockets and the light coloured interior. The only reason I didn’t get one is because I like to move around a lot and a flip over suits me better at this point. Once my kids get older though and want to come along I will definitely buy the Clam.

castle-rock-clown

I have the clam summit thermal and love it. I usually have my ATV on the ice to pull the sled and on windy days I tie the up-wind guy rope to the ATV and set up the rest including installing the anchors before setting it free from the ATV. Also, if it’s sooo windy out that the shelter draggs the ATV (with tire chains) a cross the lake…well.
    On one extremely cold day my ATV’s fuel line froze, and i ended up setting up the shelter nd placed it over the ATV. After fourty-five minutes with the big buddy on high, vroom. I even winter camp out on the ice in the thing.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I was wondering if you where going to mention the garage factor Clown. How many flips can do that and still fit 3-4 grown men. LOL

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.