Single or Treble?

• icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

I started fishing with spoons a lot more last ice season for panfish mainly in deep basins. My question is do you guys use the accompanying treble hook with the spoon or swap it out for a single hook? I have always been of the mindset that pannies don’t want a big treble in their faces so I swapped all my trebles for a size 8 single hook and had good sucess. Thoughts on gold, red or silver colored hooks?

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

FWIW. I have noticed when dragging spoons and flies for salmon and lakers that a single hook gets more fish to the boat and a treble gets more hook ups but not the same to boat percentage. Singles seem to hook deeper in mouth.

I have not tried this on ice for eyes or pannies though. You may be on to something and I would like to know what others have found.

day_trader
    Minnesota

I did the same thing last year…
    I had the most success with red 6’s or 8’s.
    I mainly fish pan fish [blues, crappie, perch] but the walleye’s reacted pretty well too with a minnow head.

tswoboda

Nothing worse than being on school of good perch and getting all 3 hook points of a treble buried. The extra seconds it takes to get that hook out is the difference between that school moving on or staying put below you.

All single size 6’s for me.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

I started fishing with spoons a lot more last ice season for panfish mainly in deep basins. My question is do you guys use the accompanying treble hook with the spoon or swap it out for a single hook? I have always been of the mindset that pannies don’t want a big treble in their faces so I swapped all my trebles for a size 8 single hook and had good sucess. Thoughts on gold, red or silver colored hooks?

Treble. If the fish are active enough to hit a spoon, they will have no trouble taking in the treble hook. If they are hitting it but not taking it in, I switch to plastics.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

I understand what you are saying here. But sometimes last year when the fish were in-active I switched to a spoon and it actually helped trigger bites as opposed to subtle micro jigs with plastics. It defies what one would normally expect from neutral or negative feeding fish but it actually helped.

I think I will tie the same spoon on multiple rods with different hooks and test it first hand. I’m glad to hear that I’m not an outlier though by using the single hooks on the ice for pannies.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

On the other hand when the perch are on the chew, it is nice to have all 3 hooks loaded with bait so it lasts longer when the school is below. It ia also nice to give them the buffet. Minnow head, waxie and euros.
    many pros, cons and scenarios when each are top performers.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I would say you will have to let the fish dictate what to use. Last year I used both on a swedish pimple. Some day a single would work other days a treble and some days you had to have a waxie on each barb or no bite (only 2 waxies and nothing put the third on and buffet time.). Some days green some red. As far as silver or gold, I would say stained water start with silver clear water gold but once again the fish will make your decision. Also if your having problem unhooking them down size the treble.

Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

I have had success with spoons that I have removed the treble hook from and replaced with a drop chain hook. The minnow action as it fights the spoon makes an awesome presentation.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Quote:

As far as silver or gold, I would say stained water start with silver clear water gold but once again the fish will make your decision.

I beg to differ here Asylum. Gold in stained water has always out-produced silver for me and everyone I know up here. And silver is usually but not always better in clear water. That is if the stain you are referring to is the bog/pine stain. The reason is simply due to the stain itself, as the baitfish in those waters are generally tinted a gold/darker color from the stain. Anything silver looks like it doesn’t belong (to the fish) and typically doesn’t appeal to their appetite. I’m not saying silver won’t catch any fish in stained water, but it is generally the poorest color option.
    You are dead right about having different colored hooks for different situations though. I prefer red in shallow water, green in deep and gold/ silver based on clarity.
    As for treble or single, I saw an early ice video Holst did where they used these new trebles with one long hook… I was thinking about stocking up on different sizes of those and testing them out on some spoons this winter.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Putan’am. I guess I am looking at more murkey than stained. I fishhave the Wisconsin River flowage system.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Great discussion! Lots of hard-earned experiences and opinions here.

Most of my preferences are species-specific.

Regarding walleyes for example, I’m a fan of properly sized trebles. Sometimes, walleyes seemed triggered by the spoon and it’s action, other times a spoon’s hook is nothing more than a bait-delivery system. Where/how the fish hits your spoon would dictate hook type, but a treble has you covered in both directions.

For perch, I also like a treble hook, for the reasons that Bruzek mentions. Keeping a full hook can be as important as anything when trying to stay on a school. I prefer plastic, but sometimes that doesn’t always do the trick.

Regarding gills, I think the best reason to switch out for single hooks is when the treble isn’t small enough. That said, a gill will hit a much larger baited (plastic or live) treble than people give them credit for. Spoons can be a great way to trigger big gills too. They trigger that predatory response and fish fast.

As for colors on hooks, the only time I really mess with it is for really finicky mid-winter walleyes. A fine-wire gold hook with a free-swimming shiner or larger minnow has worked when most other things don’t. It’s a perfect combination for fish that “submarine” or just seem generally disinterested on the electronics.

Joel

tight-lines

I was visiting with some friends about this thread today. One of them said they cut 1 hook off the treble. He said that it helps with hook ups for him. Any one else do this?

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

I’ve done it when I have been desperate and without single hooks. Just took my handy leatherman and clipped off two hooks, never just one though.

Justin Phillips
    Bloomer, WI

For me it really depends. When using Buckshot Rattle Spoons I leave it on. For Swedish pimples I usually leave it on as well unless im targeting Bluegill that are finicky, in which case I will go to a single. Most of fhe time im just using spoons to call fish in though while I use plastics on my other rod to catch the fish.

Aaron “Chico” Rodriguez
    Forest Lake, MN

I’ve always gone for the treble.. hook color doesn’t really matter but some spoons might need a smaller treble added. Great for putting a euro on each hook so u stickem pretty easily. I use them more for deeper fish, they are great w/ anything, min head, plastics, If they don’t smash that I’ll just use a smaller jig but spoon w/ treble combo usually finds me the aggressive ones the fastest

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.