Mikehd and the Loch Ness Monster

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

With a #10 Black Diamond jig tied onto 2lb line, Mike drew a crowd around him while battling a beast. Drag was a common sound for at least the first 10miuntes and a doubled over jig stick the visual scene. The whole time the gathering grew with all hoping to get a glimpse of the creature that had a hold of Mike. Over the hole for what felt like forever waiting to assist my fishing partner, I finally caught a glimpse of the Loch Ness. It had lips on it big enough to inhale a softball, the girth as it rolled past dwarfed the 8inch hole, and the colors of orange, gold and yellow looked to glow in the stained water. Who would have ever thought the Loch Ness Monster is also known as the common carp!!

Once Mike had the beady eyed bugle lipped creatures head just starting up the hole it was possible for me to get a gaff just under the gill plate to help with the extraction of this pig. Sounding like a boot being pulled out of the mud, this all of 18lb carp was finally top side for a photo shoot. Laughter filled the air, knuckles and high fives were being passed all around while Mike looked at his monster prize with a matching monster grin. Awesome job keeping your cool and landing the Loch Ness with panfish tackle buddy Mike. Laughter once again busted out at the sight of Mike stuffing his prized golden beauty back through the hole so she could return home and share her side of the story with friends below! A memory that will forever be etched in my cranium.

Oh and yes, the blue gill bite treated us very well on this day also!

neutron
    Onalaska, Wi

Nice That had to be a hoot fighting that trophy Mike!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Not only a colorful story but a color coordinated photo!

Nice job again Mike!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

That was a hoot watching Mike do battle with that bottom feeder. Here’s a close up of the Diamond Jig hanging out of that Carp’s mouth.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Great job Mike. What were the guesses of what was tuggin on the other end. Hey camera man!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Nice fish Mike and I loved the write up Bret

Bryan Myers

Great story! You have to love the fight of those big carp, and on a panfish rod, what a blast!

DougSportsman
    Maple Grove, MN

Great story and terrific close-up photo!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Good read and good story.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Awesome catch! Carp through the ice are a hoot.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

That was awesome, way to go Mike!

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

That was a hoot and thanks for the help and moral support Bret and Blue during the battle.

jeknight

That makes it fun. I it is always fun to get one of those on a short pole and thin line. You cam smoke it,bake it.There good out of that cold water. Jerry

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Awesome catch; once in a lifetime on panfish gear

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.