ION auger review

• jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Based on the reviews in this post I’m not impressed. The ION is trying to compete with gas augers and fails. The SM has it’s nitch for guys like me. Less that 20 holes a day. And yes, the SM will cut 20 holes on one charge, just not back to back like in the vid.

-J.

fisherman-andy

Quote:

Based on the reviews in this post I’m not impressed.

-J.

So you are gonna let a few bad reviews cloud your judgement? Its like that with the Honda and Solo when they were released and that didnt deter me from making a fair judgement on my own. I think there are plenty of good reviews vs bad ones from other sites for every auger.

And what ways were you not impressed with the ION when compared to Electra auger?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

And what ways were you not impressed with the ION when compared to Electra auger?

James Holst wrote:

Quote:

An auger has to work in the cold. Period.

I pretty much agree with that.

Look, you like your ION, I like my SM. It’s all good.

-J.

fisherman-andy

Quote:

Quote:

James Holst wrote:

Quote:

An auger has to work in the cold. Period.

I pretty much agree with that.

Look, you like your ION, I like my SM. It’s all good.

-J.

Quote:

The ION is trying to compete with gas augers and fails. The SM has it’s nitch for guys like me. Less that 20 holes a day. And yes, the SM will cut 20 holes on one charge, just not back to back like in the vid.

-J.

I agree that auger has to work in the cold. And there are some downsides to owning each I think one should fully understand and research before buying one. However I got the feeling that the review appeared BIAS? Nothing against you. Maybe I am wrong? Im pretty sure the Electra works for you thats great. Im totally fine with that.

Will the ION work in the cold? Im sure one can find a way even if that means warming up the battery or having it remove during transportation. Ive seen plenty of reviews or work arounds from other sites. One theory is that its not the battery alone but could be related to some mechanical or electrical component causing the issue?

I dont for one moment think the ION is in direct competition with gas augers. Trying to use it like a gas auger from what we seen fails. However do I think it is in direct competition with other electrical augers.

Will I use the ION like I do a Gas auger? NOPE. Will I use it similiar to what one would do using an electra auger for? YEAP.

Imma wait and watch on how the ION develops out, I think with some better engineering and tweaks it could overcome the obstacles that is currently plague it.

As for me and the type of ice fishing I like to do there is no current electrical auger that will satisfy me. Only a gas auger such as the Solo Lazer Pro or a Nils will be the one to come along with me on my adventures.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Any arguement against the Ion most likely goes against what it’s built for, 40 holes or less. If you’re a fisherman who drills over 40 holes an outing, then this auger isn’t for you. I fish familiar lakes, so I don’t drill more than 40 holes as I have a decent idea of where the fish should be. The whole warming the battery arguement is moot, so takes an extra 30 seconds to take the battery out of a warming case or wrapped up in a sportsman’s caddy, the fact that I can instantly drill holes is priceless, no warmup period, no worries if I put the auger back down on the right side, no worries if it will leak gas all over in my vehicle, etc

it’s situational, but it’s exactly what I need it to be…I would recommend it to anyone who doesn’t drill more than 40 holes an outing…

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

The Ion is so far above the SM electric it’s not even a contest. For a run and gun guy then no, for a permanent guy that drills 10-25 holes, it’s the best auger ever invented hands down. Those Gator guys are 1 positive comment to 20 no service mad guys.

Hotspot
    Lake Nebagamon,WI

I tried to buy one late last year. Could not locate one anywhere. I called Eskimo dealer to see when I could get one. They said not until X Mass. If I have to wait that long my wife will use the money for dumb stuff. I hear the new ones will have reverse.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.