Mille lacs lake help

• taz
    Frederic wi

Hi I’m looking at heading over to ice fish the big pond for the first time ever.
    I’m looking at heading out of the south east side. Not looking for your spots or anything like that would just like to get pointed in the right direction. Like how are the roads or if there are plowed roads out that side. Are there any spot to look out for on that side? What types of lures/ bait to use and what the depth the hot bite might be at.

Thanks and I will report back on what I find.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

There is a very active crack just outside of Cove Bay. Wilderness has been doing a good job keeping up with bridging it. Snow is not an issue now but the ice is changing daily so be cautious running cross country.

Take a look at a Lakemaster chip or map and get on some good steep transition into 30 feet or so.

If you have a camera find a boulder/mud edge and set up on that otherwise hole hop the 30-32′ depths along sharper contours.

Im sure everyone has their prefrences on lures but I like Chartruce doodle bugs for jigging with a minnow head. I would also run tip ups on the break lines with a plain hook/ maybe colored hook tight to the bottom with a fatty or rainbow.

Try the 30-33′ mud basin areas for jumbos in the area during the days by hole hopping quickly and covering water with a small spoon loaded with euros. You will fond pods of about 6 fish at a time when you do, rip them as fast as you can and get back down ASAP. When they move off the graph you need to move too. Keep the hooks full of bait, when you are on them you dont have time to rebait.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Mark is right on with that pattern! Don’t even have anything to add to that!

taz
    Frederic wi

Thanks for the help guys

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.