Onalaska GTG – 10 day count down Roll call

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m getting excited to get over there and meet everyone! It will be great to put a face to a name…in most cases

A couple people mentioned bringing food to share, so in all fairness to them, lets get a roll call on those planning on going. It’s a generous offer and we can plan accordingly. This also will give us an idea of what we need for any grills/camp stoves to be set up at home base.

Also, there’s a few guys hitting the lake on a regular basis that is trying to keep up with the bite. They’re going to be trying to get us all on fish, so kudos to them and I appreciate their effort!

We are setting up “home” just off the access from Schafer’s. This will provide easy access from Hyw 35. From laX – Drive HWY 35 south and turn RIGHT (WEST) on County Hwy Z. Not very far you make 2 lefts on North Shore Ln and your there. Map to GTG

I’ll be there about 6:30am or so – Looking forward to seeing everyone

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Randy & Milemark 714
    2 attending

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I am planning on coming up. I don’t know the area at all having never been there. It’s three+ hours from me and some good directions would be nice to have. Does anyone have GPS numbers I can input? What’s the outlook on ice thickness in regards to driving a full size pick up truck out on the ice?

Anyone care to PM me their cell phone number and I can PM mine back?

I’ll be coming solo. Looking forward to it.

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

I’ll most likely be there, at least for a little bit. 4 vehicles and and ATV went through this weekend so care should be used when driving vehicles out there. Not real sure on thickness as I haven’t been out there.

sikeo22
    SW, Wisconsin

1 more here!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Quote:

I’ll most likely be there, at least for a little bit. 4 vehicles and and ATV went through this weekend so care should be used when driving vehicles out there. Not real sure on thickness as I haven’t been out there.

I was out there this past weekend. The ice is good in most spots.. 14+ inches I’d say but you need to use caution when driving on the main lake. There are some pressure ridges out there that people were senselessly driving over. That’ll happen when you have over 1500 people fishing the lake for an ice fishing derby, probably 1/2 of which were novice ice anglers. So long as you stay on the flat ice and go where other people have been, trucks and other vehicles are fine.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

My wife and I are coming, we are bringing a big 2 burner camp stove, a big pot of chili, and a big pot of potato soup. Also making a batch of apple pie!!!

Ed

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Like Cade said….There was a bunch of rookies out there Saturday …

Where I went there was 16″ if not more,soid clear ice..not saying with the recent snow and warm temps (IMHO not a big factor) things will change but I’ll do my best to keep everyone up to date on both the ice and driving condtions as it get closer.

You never did say if you were showing up Cade

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

I’ll be there

I knew you would

damman
    Pepin county Wi

When is this again?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Since I was part of the “ice rescue” for one of the vehicles on the Lake on Saturday, here is my take on the situation.

Where the SUV went through the ice was a KNOWN trouble spot to the locals. The vehicle basically attempted to drive over a pressure ridge that has laid flat. This area expands all winter long. One day it can be closed, the next day it is open water for a few feet. There are approximately 4 pressure ridges on the lake to be concerned about. The area the GTG will be is only close to 1-2 of them. They are easily pointed out from the landing. The other is West of the runway lights. The biggest most concerning one runs from the tip of Bell Island on the eastern shore and runs to the railroad tracks.

I have spent some time on the ice recently and can say the lake for the most part is at least 14″ with an average of 16″.

My advice would be to check in at base camp when you arrive. From there, directions can be given and areas so avoid can also be pointed out. Also, to be ultra safe, do not drive within 100 yards of the railroad tracks. That area tends to shift in thickness all winter due to current.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I don’t ice fish any more but I may come down just to help out and bull**** some.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

We are setting up “home” just off the access from Schafer’s. This will provide easy access from Hyw 35. From laX – Drive HWY 35 south and turn RIGHT (WEST) on County Hwy Z. Not very far you make 2 lefts on North Shore Ln and your there. Map to GTG

You were real good till you got to this point Randy

Schafer’s is North of La Crosse
    You take a
    left on Z -the only way you can go on Z…

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

oooppps! I drive in from the north all the time

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

I just didn’t want to be the one to correct him on the directions. I don’t feel I’ve contributed enough to be correcting folks. I hope to be there. I feel like there’s something going on that weekend but I can’t remember. What time?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

I just didn’t want to be the one to correct him on the directions. I don’t feel I’ve contributed enough to be correcting folks. I hope to be there. I feel like there’s something going on that weekend but I can’t remember. What time?

I’m never ashamed of being corrected – my wife tries to do it to me all the time
    I’m planning on getting down there about 6:30 or so. I have a tan color GMC 2500 with a highliner cap. Quantum/Gamakatsu/IDO (old faded one ) on the back window.

Randy Rowell
    Rockland Wi

I’ll be there, possibly with nephew.
    Randy

IceJohn

I will be there with my son.we will bring something.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.