100ft deep where do you start?

• aaron
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I found a new lake that I want to start putting some time on,but it is 100ft deep and I have no idea on where I should start. I am targeting walleye on a very clear water sisco lake. If anyone has a good plan of attack, please help. Here is a link to the lake map http://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/maps/DNR/2353600a.pdf

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

I would personally try to do the afternoon into night deal red glow/shiner in about 30-35 fow and looking at that map I could not zoom in- I tried to find another format through the state site, but I would work the bar in the very north central part of that lake that leads into the abyss- or just west of that island in the central eastern side of the lake. If there are eyes in that lake, they will use both of those spots when feeding. Any inside turns with gradual 30-50 should hold them as well but the 2 spots mentioned should have areas that can concentrate them in areas where baitfish get pinned. Just my analysis.

joetc
    Rogers and Longville, MN

Quote:

I found a new lake that I want to start putting some time on,but it is 100ft deep and I have no idea on where I should start. I am targeting walleye on a very clear water sisco lake. If anyone has a good plan of attack, please help. Here is a link to the lake map http://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/maps/DNR/2353600a.pdf

Based off depth contours alone I’d focus on the northeast corner where there is a lot more structure. Most of the remaining area of the lake is just a steep shoreline break into the main basin. Some areas I’d look to would be between the island and the small rock hump where it creates a nice saddle and on either edge of that where it goes into the small hole to the east or where it goes out to the basin to the right. Otherwise maybe try the break on that goes south to north starting on the west edge of that rock hump. It would be really nice to know if and where there are any weeds in the lake. The map indicates a lot of sand/gravel/rock and if you could find some weeds that would be a good place to start.

Spend some time drilling holes and trying to find transitions in bottom content and baitfish. Walleyes like edges and they follow baitfish so if you find a combination of both you should have a good starting point. As for depths, it really depends on the piece of structure you’re fishing and where the weedline is. I prefer shallower water than the previous poster suggests and have my best success in 10-20ft ranges.

You’re likely to find a better low light bite on a clear water lake so spend the daytime exploring and looking for some of the suggested areas and then get your holes drilled early and stay quiet on the ice as primetime approaches, especially important if you’re fishing shallower. Try for natural presentations in clear water, silver and golds work great.

Good luck!

Joe

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

where there are any weeds in the lake. The map indicates a lot of sand/gravel/rock and if you could find some weeds that would be a good place to start.

Spend some time drilling holes and trying to find transitions in bottom content and baitfish. Walleyes like edges and they follow baitfish so if you find a combination of both you should have a good starting point. As for depths, it really depends on the piece of structure you’re fishing and where the weedline is. I prefer shallower water than the previous poster suggests and have my best success in 10-20ft ranges.

You’re likely to find a better low light bite on a clear water lake so spend the daytime exploring and looking for some of the suggested areas and then get your holes drilled early and stay quiet on the ice as primetime approaches, especially important if you’re fishing shallower. Try for natural presentations in clear water, silver and golds work great.

Good luck!

Joe

If this is the Sand Lake that is on the south side of Fireside lake, you couldn’t have received more accurate info. Find the deepest weeds, and you’ll find eyes! My dad grew up not far from there and we’ve hit Sand and Fireside since I was a baby. Most of our fishing on there is at night.

BBKK
    IA

The secret to knowing where the fish are is to know the depths in which they range. In your lake you will find the walleye sitting in between 1 and 100 feet of water. Now that you know the secret, go out and catch them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.