mono or braid

• hoytpower
    buffalo county, wi

What do most guys use for jiggin eyes and saugers I have fireline now but don’t really like it seams real stiff. I use mono in the spring on rods out of the boat.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

For straight vertical jigging hardware (one eyes or blade baits) I like Suffix 832 braid. For other Walleye casting presentations (including pitching wing dams) I like Seagaur Fluor.

I know alot of guys like braid for jigging and pitching for Walleyes but I personaly find it doesn’t stretch enough and I lose too many fish after they are hooked.

I only use mono on my topwater presentations.

hoytpower
    buffalo county, wi

How bout the guys jigging for them under the ice

josh a

mono for me, doesnt freeze up as bad when fishing outside. If I only fished inside i’d probably use braid

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

For my ice rods I run power pro’s braided “ice” line (not sure what lb) w/a foot and a half or so leader of 6-8 lb floro tied to a swivel. This keeps line twist down from jiggin raps and spoons. For my dead stick I just use a uni to uni knot to connect the floro to the braid. Braid does tend to ice up in colder temps when hole hoping, works great in a shack. But if its above 20ยบ it has very minimal icing. The true ice versions of braids seem to be more resistant to freezing fom my experience.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

You get many topwater bites on the ice?

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

For vertical jigging walleye and crappie I prefer flourocarbon. It’s more dense than water so it sinks, keeps light jigs down better, and minimal stretch makes it very sensitive. It’s also abrasion resistant and UV resistant but I typically change it out at the midpoint of the season because of the stiffness. It is stiffer so it’s not great for casting on a spinning reel. From June til ice-up I usually jig 1/8 and 1/16oz. jigs in 14 to 20ft even when it’s windy. Seagar blue and yellow label works good.

John S.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Quote:

Quote:

I am looking forward to open water fishing too much

I geuss I should have looked to see the post was under the ice fishing forum

joetc
    Rogers and Longville, MN

Mono or a copolymer for all my ice fishing. Stretch can be a good thing for hooking and fighting fish especially in the short ranges of ice fishing.

Joe

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I’m just busting your balls, we are all looking forward to soft water fishing.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I’m just busting your balls, we are all looking forward to soft water fishing.

I did have a pike jump up cleared out of the hole just as I pulled the lure out of the hole to check and see if my minnow was still on it. For a brief moment I thought I was staring at a life and death battle between me and some sea monster.

But now I can laugh all about it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.