TUC Precision Noodle as a deadstick?

• YetiDude

Is the tip too light on a noodle rod to use it for deadsticking? What’s everyone’s preferred way to set up and rig a deadstick for walleye?

Personally I think the Precision Deadstick is a little too light in the backbone for my taste, there is no way a Precision Noodle would work out well to get a fish to turn into the hole with any control.

My favorite walleye deadstick is the DH Al Dente or a Thorne deadstick with a short 4-5″ sweetheart handle. Both of these have loads of backbone when needed.

onepine
    Elk River

I like my Aldente noodle rod as a dead stick but I would recommend a longer handle if you plan on putting it into a standard bucket style rod holder. I have the shorter handle and wish I would have gotten the 6″ style. The smaller handle is to small for my hands and isn’t long enough to fit into the rod holder when the reel is balanced on the rod.

huskerdu

Thorn Bros. dead stick bought one 10 years ago. I set the rod in a light wire holder, you can see the minnow move on the rod.

Keith Fischer

Quote:

I like my Aldente noodle rod as a dead stick but I would recommend a longer handle if you plan on putting it into a standard bucket style rod holder. I have the shorter handle and wish I would have gotten the 6″ style. The smaller handle is to small for my hands and isn’t long enough to fit into the rod holder when the reel is balanced on the rod.

I just don’t understand these short handles or the split
    grip either. You can’t use either in a rod holder, I just
    had 2 custom walleye rods made for my son and I with the 6″
    handles and I have no problem holding them in the “pencil”
    grip with my finger on the rod you can feel everything. The
    other thing I see with the split grip is the handle has to be moved further up the rod thereby loosing the length you
    are trying to gain.

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

To each there own, I have two of the TUC 36 inch precisions and absolutely love them for jigging as well as dead sticking. The rod had the right action so the tip can dance some with a little play, but the action is made so after the first 6 fast inches you got alot of backbone to drill the hook home. As far as handle length I like the newer split grip style handles on some of my jigging rods in that I like to sit the butt of my hand down on the blank. Feeling the slightest light bites on those days when fish are extra finicky, just my two cents. – Q

Keith Fischer

Quote:

To each there own, I have two of the TUC 36 inch precisions and absolutely love them for jigging as well as dead sticking. The rod had the right action so the tip can dance some with a little play, but the action is made so after the first 6 fast inches you got alot of backbone to drill the hook home. As far as handle length I like the newer split grip style handles on some of my jigging rods in that I like to sit the butt of my hand down on the blank. Feeling the slightest light bites on those days when fish are extra finicky, just my two cents. – Q

Not sayin’ ANYTHINGS wrong with the TUC rods,,,just don’t
    get the short handles or the split grip. They are offered
    with the “standard” handles. JMO

BBKK
    IA

Now that I have a TUC noodle, I can comment on this thread. IMO it would make a great deadstick for perch/crappie/bluegill if you tight line them. What I mean by this is set it in a rod holder so the bait hangs at the right depth and watch the tip. The fish will never feel that tip move.

If you use a slip bobber for deadsticking minnows, then it would not be the correct rod to use.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.