Quick Red Lake Tip!

• jake-bohnsack
    Wright County Area

I just got back from Red Lake had a an awesome trip and caught many walleyes, I posted a report last night however forgot to include the following information.

We caught many nice walleyes on a shiner/red/orange plain hook shiner set up. What I forgot to share is that I noticed that the shiners were swimming up off the bottom and were very strong and they were not even really big big shiners. I ended up putting a second medium-bigger split shot on the line closer than I normally do to the hook. I noticed that as soon as I adjusted the lines to this shorter 4-6 inch gap from the split shot the shiner stayed closer to the bottom which was crucial. I adjusted two lines in my dads fish house and within 40 minutes both of the lines were hit. My dad then told me he had them at 1 foot off the bottom and neither one of those holes had produced a fish. Based on water clarity/red lake tint it was evident with our Marcum underwater camera that fish were most likely not seeing any baits that were not very close to the bottom. It could me my imagination, however I strongly feel that this really helped our success rate. Sounds simple, however I do not like two split shot as I think sometimes the fish can feel more resistance, however this last trip, the waldo’s were loving it! Slow and steady run’s the rattle wheel!!!

Good Luck,

Jake

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

It’s always the little things. Thanks for the detailed info Jake!

Joel

big-nasty
    Backus, Mn

Nice tip there Jake! Sometimes it’s the little things that make or break a trip! Congrats!

Marcum12

Thanks Jake. Just in time. I leave on Monday for my first ever trip to Red.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Great tip! I was fishing for crappies last weekend and getting one split shot up the line and out of there face was the ticket. You just never know until you try.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.