WOW what a night !!!

• mrwalleye
    MN

WOW all I can say is what a night.
    This outing was going to take place next week. but I got a call on my way home from work lastnight asking me if I could be on the lake in 20 minutes, so with a quick stop at the house and a mad dash to the lake it was on .

It took a lot of scouting a little planning and a ton of work but it all paid off in the end. This was one of the best walleye bites I have ever had on Tonka.
    The plan was to have my friend Jesse and his wife pre drill all of our holes for the night and then cover them with snow to keep them from refreezing. this was also going to limit the noise we made as we moved with the fish throughout the night as they moved shallow to feed.
    I had to work till 5 so they started off the night in 22 fow on a rock and sand transition and the walleyes were there and ready to play. Jesse had the first fish of the night with a nice 22″ walleye then Kari had a few in the 12-14″ range.
    Then when I got there around 6pm we moved up the transition to a sharp break and a weed line in 12 fow. It was not long and I had a nice mark on my Marcum and a crushing hit on the green and gold Slender spoon, FISH ON!!! and my Tuned up 36″ Precision was working a nice 25″ eye to the hole.
    The weed edge bite lasted about 30-40 minutes and it was off to the next area.
    This area is a very large 4-6 foot deep sand flat with patches of good green weeds that were not too thick and half laid over. this is where the scouting came in, we checked the area last weekend when the ice was clear and free of snow. we used a spotlight and a GPS and marked the weed clumps, this gave us a good map of ambush points to work with around the weeds. it also provided proof that the walleyes were in the ares in good numbers.
    A key thing that this area has is a good population of small perch and small sunfish, this was also why we chose this area, the walleyes used it like a buffet.
    the area was a little slow at first to produce, we would get a small walleye here and there and a few small pike for the first hour, then it was like someone rang the dinner bell and it was game on. we had a fish on every 5 minutes for the next 3 hours, We finished the night with 8 keepers from 15″ to 19″ and lost track on how many we got topside. best guess was over 50.

The key to our success was the scouting of the area and to be as quiet as possible and have all our holes pre drilled early in the afternoon ,

the hot baits were green and gold Slender Spoons and gold #5 Rippin Raps
    Jesse took big fish of the night with his 47″ tanker of a musky

One more thing. if you have not tried a #5 Rippin Rap for jigging you need to give it a try, these things will call the fish in from a long way out, but be warned the muskies LOVE them Thanks Jesse for getting my Rippin Rap back with your musky

Water Body: Lake Minnetonka

Species:Walleye

Technique: jigging

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Great scouting and prep work story. Thanks for sharing the info.

scottie56005

All that hard work and no limit? Bummer. Sounds like you guys had a fun night though

louis-robinson
    dodge co. mn

Great read…thanks for sharing your tactics..great stuff..I love the pre drilling and covering with snow..I’m gonna try this on mille lac 2morrow..got 5 days to dial them in

damman
    Pepin county Wi

Quote:

All that hard work and no limit? Bummer. Sounds like you guys had a fun night though

Bummer? Really?. That is a nice bunch of eating right there even for three people.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Good ideas. Loved the predrill idea. Great report.

arklite881south

Good Lord let’s see the 47 inch SKI brought through the ice!!

mrwalleye
    MN

we could have had 3 full limits easy but I didn’t need any fish, I still have some fish from my last Lake Of The Woods trip

mrwalleye
    MN

Hey Chris next time you are down here in the cities let me know, I have a spot that we can sneak in and you can catch them like sunfish

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.