strikemaster-no spark

• tomberg
    Rochester,MN.

tried to start yesterday,seems to be getting no spark.bought a spark tester and gonna try later today,any other things to look at?new spark plug last year,gas from this fall,treated gas..thanks

kroger3
    blaine mn

If you pull the plug out and remove the wire from the plug can you get a spark from the wire to the case? Taking the plug out of the mix will tell you if its a motor or plug problem.

If it’s a Tecumseh, I would check the on/off switch.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Check the switch, mine failed years ago and now I run without. Choke to stop. Just one less thing to fail on a trip now.

As Kroger mentioned you can take the Plug out of the trouble shooting equation. I hate getting shocked but if you remove the plug so the motor turns over with no compression it works better. Put finger up into plug boot and SLOWLY pul motor over, if you feel nothing pull a bit harder and so on till you feel it or you are pulling it like you do to start it….

starvin pilgrim

The switch on mine also. I gave it a shot of W-D 40 and worked it a few times and it started working.

tomberg
    Rochester,MN.

its a Tecumseh,I’ll check that switch.I did check spark with plug in,I’ll check it without the plug.thanks guys.

tomberg
    Rochester,MN.

ok,checked spark that’s good.poured a little gas into spark plug cylinder,fired right off,but won’t stay running,even messing with the choke.always ran good til this year,the only thing I did different,was drained all gas out of tank before storing it.thanks for all help,not too up on 2-strokes..

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Quote:

ok,checked spark that’s good.poured a little gas into spark plug cylinder,fired right off,but won’t stay running,even messing with the choke.always ran good til this year,the only thing I did different,was drained all gas out of tank before storing it.thanks for all help,not too up on 2-strokes..

Ok then, it’s a fuel problem. I’d pull the carb apart and check the diaphragm. It may have dried out and cracked or might just not be sealing. Or the needle valve may be stuck.

FWIW, I know there are two schools of thought but I never drain the fuel. I keep a full tank during storage, dump out the old gas next season, refill with fresh gas and pull the rope. This has always worked for me. Just did that this afternoon in fact and mine fired right up.

I know others will say I have been just been lucky, but all I’m saying is that is what has worked for me.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Ok then, it’s a fuel problem. I’d pull the carb apart and check the diaphragm. It may have dried out and cracked or might just not be sealing. Or the needle valve may be stuck.

FWIW, I know there are two schools of thought but I never drain the fuel. I keep a full tank during storage, dump out the old gas next season, refill with fresh gas and pull the rope. This has always worked for me. Just did that this afternoon in fact and mine fired right up.

I know others will say I have been just been lucky, but all I’m saying is that is what has worked for me.

I do basically the same thing, I leave about a 1/2 tank of gas in mine, add stabil and some seafoam. I also start mine at every time I mow my lawn, that is if I remember. Never had a problem doing it this way.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.